I’ve had the worst pen making day ever

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

I tried 3 times to make a pen today, had all sorts of issues with new tenon cutter vs. die. Turns out after a full day of struggling the set screw on my die had opened up, (from my husband trying a different die) and that's why it wasn't making proper threads. There has never been a day that I've felt this frustrated and wondered why I'm doing this until today. So, so frustrating.

Moral to the story if your threads aren't cutting as they should, check the set screw. 😫

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

kuddos in trying 3 times. You certainly have a lesson you won't soon forget. Have fun on your next turning, I look forward to seeing what you make.
I just do not give up, and the third time I was questioning my sanity.

TDahl

I think everyone has had a similar experience. Very frustrating after the time it takes turning the tenon to the proper diameter. Your persistence will pay off.

bugradx2

Been there, hope it's better tomorrow.

I may or may not have turned the walls in my shop blue yesterday when I realized I screwed up a pretty expensive blank I was working on.

Lew

I had a day like yours yesterday. I live in central Texas so it's very hot here and I have a wall air conditioner in my shop. When I came in, I realized that I had left the thing on from the day before. No telling how long it had been running. Then the bearings went out on the upper wheel of my bandsaw and I had to replace them. Parts scattered everywhere. When I finally got to making pens, I blew out a segmented blank that I had been working on for a few days. I started work on another blank that I was turning as a commission, but when I got down to the final few passes before grabbing the sandpaper, a large chunk came off when the carbide cutter caught which it has never done before. I turned off the lights (and the air conditioner) figuring someone was trying to tell me not to work in the shop. Hopefully, today will be better.

Hippie3180

I had a day like yours yesterday. I live in central Texas so it's very hot here and I have a wall air conditioner in my shop. When I came in, I realized that I had left the thing on from the day before. No telling how long it had been running. Then the bearings went out on the upper wheel of my bandsaw and I had to replace them. Parts scattered everywhere. When I finally got to making pens, I blew out a segmented blank that I had been working on for a few days. I started work on another blank that I was turning as a commission, but when I got down to the final few passes before grabbing the sandpaper, a large chunk came off when the carbide cutter caught which it has never done before. I turned off the lights (and the air conditioner) figuring someone was trying to tell me not to work in the shop. Hopefully, today will be better.
I'm in West Texas and it has been crazy hot, so that's the other thing, no air in the garage…dripping all day. Had to chunk three blanks cause when you mess up threads there's no coming back from that. 😫

egnald

It was a pleasant day here in Nebraska yesterday. Temperatures in the high 60's and low 70's, but the air was thick with smoke - looked like a heavy fog but smelled like smoke. One thing is for certain, It is Hot in Canada! - Way Too Hot~. I hope they can get their fires under control soon. - Dave

RunnerVince

The other day, I went out to fix one screwup. Hopefully I did--just waiting for paint to thoroughly dry before I try putting tubes in. Then moved on to start prepping a blank where I'd painted the inside of the blank and glued in the tube, and I tried to force it onto my squaring jig. Screwup number two--the paint released from the inside of the blank, and the tube (tube, adhesive and paint) all came out of the blank. Ruined the tube getting it off my punch. At that point, I didn't trust myself with a pen, so I decided to make a "sample" piece (raw wood, friction finish, CA finish) to show customers. Screwup number three. I was doomed before I started because I used too short of a blank and couldn't keep from getting the middle finish on the other two sections (should have put the raw wood in the center).

At that point, I switched gears again and started a complicated wand. Got the blank to round and did the layout lines, and then called it a day before I messed something else up.

I FEEL YOU.

jrista

I probably should have stopped at two, but I took a gamble and it was yet another fiasco. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Think about it this way: The third try made you find the problem. If you'd stopped at two, you'd still be having problems the next time! Persistence often pays off...

Hippie3180

Think about it this way: The third try made you find the problem. If you'd stopped at two, you'd still be having problems the next time! Persistence often pays off...
Good point, but still so frustrating. I had no idea that due were adjustable. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Top Bottom