Hybrid mini cone boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from George Watkins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Museum quality pieces. I do expect to see these in the British Museum when I next visit Old Blighty. :biggrin:

BTW, on your Shop/Box Blank page, clicking on an image for a larger view points back to your home page rather than a larger view of the item.

Last edited:
thank you for your comments

John: I've just checked most of the images and they all work fine on my ipod touch and my wife's laptop with chrome, what are you using?

MarkD

They are beautiful. I love the way the pinecones look when turned.
What do you cast them with?

Hendu3270

Very nice! The first pic on the third box almost looks like a "hole" through the box. pretty neat.

I understand these are cast, and then vaccumed, but it seems like anywhere the cones are at the edge of the turning, you wouldn't have a smooth, cast surface to polish. Are you finishing these with CA? or am I thinking about this wrong?

thank you for all of your kind comments and "likes"

these particular blanks are cast in a round silicon mold and then turned- I also cast them in square molds too as you can get a different effect that way but you use more resin.

Chris: I think your over thinking it....but your over thinking is a common over thought
I don't use CA on boxes as IMO its unnecessary and OTT- it can be done and so can lacquer but I've never found it necessary to do so.
I prefer to sand to 600grit dry then use three types of buffing compound then MC wax.
you can feel a slight texture where the cones are but it's so slight most people don't notice it.

Here is a youtube video I made showing three ways to finish this type of blank using mops & compounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYtt8jUXzv8

vfauto

Casting

Those are amazing, would you be willing to share your casting procedure. I would love to try a casting like that.
hello folks

here are three new mini cone boxes that i've cast recently and turned today.
They are all around 2 3/8" wide by 2 7/8" tall and have a swirly marble type effect within the resin.

Hendu3270

thank you for all of your kind comments and "likes"

these particular blanks are cast in a round silicon mold and then turned- I also cast them in square molds too as you can get a different effect that way but you use more resin.

Chris: I think your over thinking it....but your over thinking is a common over thought
I don't use CA on boxes as IMO its unnecessary and OTT- it can be done and so can lacquer but I've never found it necessary to do so.
I prefer to sand to 600grit dry then use three types of buffing compound then MC wax.
you can feel a slight texture where the cones are but it's so slight most people don't notice it.

Here is a youtube video I made showing three ways to finish this type of blank using mops & compounds
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYtt8jUXzv8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYtt8jUXzv8[/URL]

I gotcha. Thanks for the reply.

Top Bottom