Huon Pine Majestic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TurnaPen

TurnaPen

This one is for the Melbourne Pen Show here Down Under this coming Sunday :).Amos:)
grandiosobirdseyehuonRB4.jpg

grandiosobirdseyehuonRB1.jpg

grandiosobirdseyehuonRB12.jpg

grandiosobirdseyehuonRB6.jpg

grandiosobirdseyehuonRB8.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pensmyth

I LOVE this pen! Where do you find your blanks? I have wanted to make myself a pen like this for some time but I can't find anyone who sells it.

turbowagon

Gorgeous pen, Amos! Very fitting hardware selection for a very special wood.

I LOVE this pen! Where do you find your blanks? I have wanted to make myself a pen like this for some time but I can't find anyone who sells it.

I have a small personal stash if you are interested in a couple blanks. PM sent.

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Amos, usually I wouldn't consider wood as a candidate for a high end kit but that looks like it was grown to be put on that pen....... nice marriage of material, looks good.

vb-matt-36

What a great looking pen, I have just finished turning a Huon pine burl bowl, it's the only time i've seen and used the wood and is a lovely wood to turn, in my opinion it is just as nice as Yew and Huon pine has a lovey smell to it, I was asked by our postman to make this for him and I finished it about 4 weeks ago and he tells me it still is giving off a lovelly odour, would anyone know if it as a nice odour for ever or does it go after time??

TurnaPen

Thanks again, VB-MATT-36 as for the smell, I do believe it remains for quite some time, I believe the smell is good to kill off or keep away such things as cockroaches and silverfish and other bugs, I will check here with my Australian friends and further clarify with you on this thread asap.
Meanwhile, while turning Huon, save the shavings-I do!!!:):)Amos

PenPal

Amos,

Outstanding character in your Huon Pine, since Huon is only found in Tasmania in rain forest , grows only mm,s a year burled, birdseye is occassional not normal your blank is indeed precious. The bark inclusions you have superbly handled with pure B to B turning, most suitably and sensitively mounted in that kit, the finish enables the true colour to be fully appreciated. The first turned item I made like a pen was most of 20 yrs ago in Huon and it varies from quite white to golden in colour some hard, some softer, with character hard to go past. Large trees can be 3 to 4 thousand years old. A huge dam in Tasmania meant harvesting of Huon Pine took place on a scale never before much of it salvaged under water for long periods of time, yes it is precious.

The oil in the timber makes shavings useful in Muslin Bags kept in drawers and cupboards to assist in making best use of the delightful perfume and since these trees live for so long to repel predator insects. At Shows sales of shavings can be quite a good sideline small bags bringing the dollars in to offset costs.

Beaut Pen Amos have success at the Pen Show.

Kind regards Peter.

TurnaPen

Thanks for the info Peter, here are 3 small portions from articles on different websites on Google.

The wood was highly prized for its golden yellow colour, fine grain and natural oils that resisted rotting. The chemical that gives the timber its unique smell and preservative qualities is methyl eugenol
Today, the tree is wholly protected and cannot be felled. However, wood on the forest floor, or buried in river beds, remains usable after hundreds of years and is still prized by modern woodworkers.
They were intrigued by the fact that the logs had evidently been lying there for many years, but were intact, untouched by the rot and insects that normally decompose fallen timber. They speculated that this timber might be the solution to the previously intractable problems experienced by wooden boat builders - how to stop the voracious marine borer or screw worm. They were right; it turned out to be the best boat building timber in the world.

Basically, it has natural anti rot and anti bug oil, and is good to work with and smells great!!!Amos:):) ps give more Bird's Eye Huon!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom