Humor: Be careful how you cut!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

An experienced bushler (aka feller, faller, cutter) would have felt the rot and seen saw was kicking out rot. He probably would have used a Jack to be sure where it would go.

Have been to a few funerals associated with a tree not doing what was planned. Dangerous work.

TonyL

I have learned being in my profession that Alaskan Crab fisherman, underwater welders, and loggers have the highest workers' comp rates: over $40 per $100 of payroll. I am amazed, in general of how inexpensively we can purchase wood given the costs and risks.

Herb G

One of my neighbors had a tree struck by lightning. It leaned over, & split from the ground up about 40'. It was about a 200 year old oak tree.
A leg kicked out from the main trunk to prop it up, but leaning severely.

Some amateur tree trimmers came by & tried to cut it down.
It was a widow maker for sure, because it got caught up in surrounding trees when it tipped over.

Well, they had the bright idea of using a ladder to reach up the tree to cut it free from the snag. Not a good idea. It was rotten inside to the point of mulch. They made one cut, it snapped, slid backwards, right thru the back of the guy's house, and out the front.
It smashed the foundation where it snagged going thru the basement.
Ripped up the concrete driveway, tore one side completely off the house.

The guy on the ladder got 2 broken legs, his helper got a smashed collar bone & a broken arm. His insurance wouldn't pay because they weren't licensed arborists. I think he ended up paying about $60K to have his house fixed.
He also paid a well known local tree company to come out & cut down every tree on his property not long afterwards.

Trees are nothing to mess with.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Well as a starter he was cutting below the notch rather than above it as he should have been, The notch does not look to be deep enough and if he'd made it as deep as he should have he'd have known about the rot. Other than that I guess he was just unlucky.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have learned being in my profession that Alaskan Crab fisherman, underwater welders, and loggers have the highest workers' comp rates: over $40 per $100 of payroll. I am amazed, in general of how inexpensively we can purchase wood given the costs and risks.
I would have thought auto and boat racing would be highest unless those employees can't get workman's comp.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The organization I work with has volunteer Disaster Relief units in many Southern States. They have many "chain saw" crews and each person must go through hours of training before being accepted and licensed. And you can't work with this crew unless you are licensed. Some local governmental agencies send their workers to these training sessions. These training sessions follow FEMA safety guidelines except for one - and that is about What happened in that video. It is a point of contention with two different safety groups. Our group does train using FEMA's recommendation but also the other way. Without getting into the details, it deals with the split and kickout as happened with that and how to handle the cuts in relation to the situation. FEMA says always one way, but the way they recommend easily can cause blade kickback, even with experienced users.

Our organization uses ropes, pulleys and other tree anchors to force a tree in a particular direction. Still, the split and kickout has been a widow maker. What you DO with a chain saw is not to be taken lightly.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The organization I work with has volunteer Disaster Relief units in many Southern States. They have many "chain saw" crews and each person must go through hours of training before being accepted and licensed. And you can't work with this crew unless you are licensed. Some local governmental agencies send their workers to these training sessions. These training sessions follow FEMA safety guidelines except for one - and that is about What happened in that video. It is a point of contention with two different safety groups. Our group does train using FEMA's recommendation but also the other way. Without getting into the details, it deals with the split and kickout as happened with that and how to handle the cuts in relation to the situation. FEMA says always one way, but the way they recommend easily can cause blade kickback, even with experienced users.

Our organization uses ropes, pulleys and other tree anchors to force a tree in a particular direction. Still, the split and kickout has been a widow maker. What you DO with a chain saw is not to be taken lightly.
True enough Hank, but if you don't do it right you can get into that kind of trouble with any saw, including a 2 man crosscut saw.

Top Bottom