A dust mask that WORKS!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

HI folks,
As the president of the Santa cruz Woodturners Association, I would like to invite you to check out the RZ Mask. It is great for a variety of activities including construction, dirt bike riding, woodturning, etc. I use this product and love it so much I invite everyone to check it out. The link to go there is http://rzmask.com/?afmc=2. With this link, any purchases you make generate a 10% commission to our club.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

I have one of these I got from Cabelas. I bought it to wear it when I'm turning something that's really dusty. Then I realized it's just a dust mask, not a respirator.

Here is the manufacturer's website: https://www.rzmask.com/?gclid=CMizjLnXxc0CFYSAaQodUfMHxA that talks about its capabilities. Since it is a dust mask, not a respirator, when it gets dirty, you wash it not change filters. It's probably better for mowing than it is for turning. It is not rated (P95/P100) like a respirator is.

If you have nuisance dust, this is much better than a paper dust mask, but if you need a respirator, this is not a substitute.

Curly

Thanks. Proper disposable dust masks like those worn in hospitals and used in the workplace are rated P95/P100. Employers can't give their workers unrated disposables anymore than they can give unrated respirators to use at work. So if this company can't be bothered to get their mask certified or it failed to pass and they still sell them then I won't use it. My lungs are too important to me even if the mask looks good.

My kids gave me a Trend air shield for my wood turning... other than being a little heavy, I wouldn't think of using anything else now...I can put in a day in the shop without wheezing and sniffling all evening. Biggest draw back is the prices of the shield and it's components... new filters and overlays for the face shield are ridiculously priced... but cheaper than a new lung.

Marmotjr

Even Dust masks are supposed to have a rating, that way they are comparable to other masks.

But what really tips my off to these being hokey, a firefighter would never trust their life to a "dust mask". To market these as being protective against smoke inhalation is downright negligent. A handkerchief will filter out the majority of smoke particles, but it won't do a thing for the lack of breathable gases found in heavy smoke.

If you want a mask to protect against dust, get a rated mask or respirator. I have both a North Full face repsirator, and Half face respirator. If you get the correct filters for the process you are doing, they are comfortable and efficient. The half face with filters can be had for under $20 if you do a little shopping.

OSHA standard exist for a reason.

EDIT: The more I read this, the more I realize it is no more than a fancy handkerchief with removable filters. While it probably works fine for turning applications, I hesitate to use it without a standard test rating applied to it. It looks very comfortable and easy to wear, and that is something that is sorely needed it respiratory safety items, but without a standard rating....

Last edited:
Top Bottom