How would you handle this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Xander

I've been watching this since post one but have been holding back any comments I have, untill now...

When I am 'working' or away from the computer I can't tell if there is an email or PM for me, BUT I can ALWAYS HEAR the PHONE RING. I can't keep checking for emails because it takes away from what I should be doing (to get an order out ... if that is what I should be doing). Emails / PM's, as far as I'm concerned, are NEVER a good way to communicate even for casual conversations and should NEVER be used for business.

Just my $0.02, I'll shut up again now.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Well that appears to be a fundamental generation gap maybe? I believe as an online business, email is the number one means of business communication.

I for one don't have a home phone, only a cell and most of the time I don't have good coverage at home anyway.

Last edited:

Padre

Well that appears to be a fundamental generation gap maybe? I believe as an online business, email is the number one means of business communication.

You know Carl, you may be on to something. It seems more and more these days that folks just do not pick up the telephone and call. They email, text and use other means of communication. Heck, I've seen people sitting in the same room texting each other!

I am 58, and my normal reaction in a situation such as you experienced would be to call. But that is my history. I've always called when I want to check on something or someone. When the tornadoes hit Texas, I could have texted Curtis and Seamus, but heck no, I called, because, TO ME, it the the right thing to do.

I also have had many dealings with Constant, and each and every one of them has been fantastic. He has never missed a deadline, nor has he ever disappointed me on any order.

What I am reading in this thread is that one should exhaust all avenues of communication before becoming overly alarmed.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I for one don't have a home phone, only a cell and most of the time I don't have good coverage at home anyway.
You might well have something there but Man wouldn't it be great if that was the only "gap". I personally won't carry a cell phone....when I'm someplace else I don't want people to be able to find me. I have one in my truck in case of breakdown or accident. My wife has the number but it is usually turned off. I respond to emails and phone calls equally but I do admit an email will probably be answered faster.

Texatdurango

When you order custom work online, there are certain levels of expectation on communication. I honestly don't even know what I'm getting. No idea on font choice which I asked for at least once and since I already had to drop my pens off for engraving, Im sure they won't match.

As an internet vendor, communication becomes a large priority. Unanswered emails and PMs leave the customer hanging.
Delays and issues come up, but when they are not communicated it leaves the customer hanging blindly.

I'm an easy customer a long as the communication is there. In this case there was zero.

Sorry Carl but I think this whole thread is unnecessary and if the truth be know, shows bad business judgement on YOUR part, not the vendor.

You keep mentioning COMMUNICATIONS and yet you haven't even bothered to pick up a phone and call about an order that is SO important to you.

If this was that big of a deal, a phone call would have been the first thing on my mind rather than keep waiting day in and day out for an email to arrive or a package in the mail.

76winger

In a nutshell - I think what everyone has witnessed here is the growing pains of a small business.

I've worked for a medium sized corporation's IT department for 25 years now and seen communications go from inter-office memos, telephones and physically travel to location as the only ways of getting in communication to adding email, instant messaging, SMS (text), video meetings, Webex, social media and several other forms to the mix. Generally email is the mainstay method of communication because it's easily stored and retrieved for future use and convenient to reply back to when there is time and convenience to to so. But if something important needs to be communicated in a high priority fashion you do one of two things: You walk down the hall and talk to the person or you call them on the phone. That's how you prioritize when you need to communicate pronto.

But beyond what's the best way to communicate you're seeing more going on here. You're seeing a small business that's growing and working through the issues that come with success and growing into it. There comes a time when the company's founder just can't run the show alone and struggles to keep up with all aspects of the business (Production, Selling, Purchasing, Accounting, Computer and Phone communications, shipping and on and on). And you have to grow into the success slowly lest you find yourself overstaffed and not enough business to sustain the people it takes to support it.

This brings in the challenges of how does the customer communicate with the growing, yet still small business that is experiencing some levels of success but is only beginning to be able to "staff up" accommodate it. We should all keep this in mind as many of our suppliers in here are in similar situations and we need to give them the benefit of the doubt when we don't hear back from them right away on an order or email or PM etc. And if we really need to talk to them, that's what the good old fashioned telephone is for!.

And for those that claim no home phone any more and just cellphone with iffy service - If you've got a decent Internet connection (broadband of any kind) Magic Jack Plus is a good solution for a home phone over the net for only $20-25 "a year". Even then, with my cellphone on my belt, I don't hear it when I'm in the shop with the lathe running and Shopvac going, so there may still be a delay in responding if we don't get an answer right away when calling. Try again later and if it's really important. The guy on the other end may just be working his way through what we know of as a Good Problem!

ETA: This may have been a discussion that was unnecessay in the forum, but I think we can all learn from it.

Last edited:

Woodlvr

These are the types of threads that in my opinion should be totally handled behind the scenes. There are people who may live close or be friends with the vendor and try it that way, NOT try to draw shame and dirt on a vendor who is trying to work out to be a great vendor. Noone is perfect but this vendor has proved his worth and generosity and value to this forum. This is my humble opinion. I did go through a rough time a while back with some of my inlay blanks and we took care of it behind the scenes and to both of our satisfactions. Just saying.

Papo

I apologize if I have offended anyone and I'm truly going to stop replying to this thread now because as someone mentioned everyone has a side and nothing I or constant say will accomplish anything on here.

Only honest good hearted people like yourself (Carl)have the guts to say this.And I think this should be the end of this post.Just my 0.02.
It always brings me back to my childhood (no punt intent it).
We had this (Auto Mechanic)neighbor that anytime something went run the words that would come out his mouth were Ohhh Ohhh The S--- is going to hit the fan.And again and again same words coming out.So me and my friends went out and round up some fresh dog poop and without him seen us we loaded the car radiator and fan of the car he was working on.We sat nearby waiting for the bomb to explode.When he got in to start the the car my friend says to me OHHH S----:).There was poop all over that man's car and the smell!!! just imagine.My other friend says Ohh Ohh
The s--- just hit the fan:).We had to run and hide for days.Just a little humor to get off the subject.:) Hope I don't get in trouble for this!!!!

Top Bottom