How would you handle this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

I ordered from a vendor who I thought was a trusted and respected IAP vendor for something that has to be to a customer by a deadline. This particular vendor won't respond to my emails or PM attempts. I have no idea if the work is being done. My card was charged back on the 4th and I received order confirmation (automated). I'm getting frustrated at the lack of communication.

How would you handle this given the good vendors reputation in the pen turning community?

tim self

I feel your pain. Sometimes an order slips through the crack even with the best. When they don't respond they're away or having problems.

Tim

Jim Smith

If the vendor has a website with a contact phone number, I would give them a call to get an update. There are many things that can interrupt or delay a job such as an illness or accident. I understand your frustration, especially since you're committed to your customer to deliver the goods by a certain date, but blasting anyone publically before you know all the facts is never a good idea. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim Smith

leehljp

Member Liaison
IS there a phone number that you can call?

My experience is that some vendors respond to calls quicker, while others respond to emails faster.

Carl Fisher

but blasting anyone publically before you know all the facts is never a good idea.

I tried to keep the situation generic enough to not call out the particular vendor. This is also the first time I've tried this particular vendor.

I'll have to see if I can find their phone number and try that way but I much prefer email personally.

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

Being an ONLINE based business IMO there is NO excuse to not answering an email. PM's aren't ideal but should also be answered if possible.

That said, most of the 'IAP vendors' are small Ma 'n' Pa type stores and $#!T does happen.

Hopefully all will be resolved shortly!

Robert111

but blasting anyone publically before you know all the facts is never a good idea.

I tried to keep the situation generic enough to not call out the particular vendor. This is also the first time I've tried this particular vendor.

I'll have to see if I can find their phone number and try that way but I much prefer email personally.

Did you try contacting them through a PM here on IAP? Sometimes the Contact function on a website won't work--happened to me a few days ago, and I was able to get an immediate response through the PM.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Maybe

Being an ONLINE based business IMO there is NO excuse to not answering an email. PM's aren't ideal but should also be answered if possible.

That said, most of the 'IAP vendors' are small Ma 'n' Pa type stores and $#!T does happen.

Andrew, even the best of us can't be here 24/7 and some of us are too small to hire help. I try to answer all emails or PMs and return all phone calls within a couple of hours and ship within 24 hours of receipt of payment, but there are times when I have to be away for a day (once in a great while 2 days) and things can pile up. For the most part, we just do the best we can.

Akula

Nothing worse than being left hanging. I would rather get a email update just telling me things are busy or they are running behind...but not just ignore.

But sometimes when dealing with the internet, things could get missed and just a simple oversite. Emails get sent to the trash bin ect. Online orders through a website should not be missed. Websites get hacked ect. Just thinking out loud here for any possible errors.

Hope it gets resolved

snyiper

I think if vendors are online based they should answer emails with in 24 hours max. Now that being said a phone number for the vendor can bypass any net issues not under the vendors control. I would expect that my item should be shipped with in 24 hours of billing my card. Now we all know Murphy can strike at any time but if you took payment I feel you are obligated to send the item asap. I am sure it is something very understandable and most if not all our vendors are great in all these aspects shoot a PM or find a contact number, I am sure it will be resolved.

Andrew_K99

Andrew, even the best of us can't be here 24/7 and some of us are too small to hire help. I try to answer all emails or PMs and return all phone calls within a couple of hours and ship within 24 hours of receipt of payment, but there are times when I have to be away for a day (once in a great while 2 days) and things can pile up. For the most part, we just do the best we can.
I should have quantified that Smitty ... I think emails should be responded to within 48 hours. And/or if you are away have an auto reply set up letting senders know so there is no confussion. I totally understand that $#!T happens and being a small operation dependant on one or two people it can't be easy when it does. I am just giving my opinion of what I think is fair to expect for customer services from an online retailer, small or big.

AK

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I think if vendors are online based they should answer emails with in 24 hours max. Now that being said a phone number for the vendor can bypass any net issues not under the vendors control. I would expect that my item should be shipped with in 24 hours of billing my card. Now we all know Murphy can strike at any time but if you took payment I feel you are obligated to send the item asap. I am sure it is something very understandable and most if not all our vendors are great in all these aspects shoot a PM or find a contact number, I am sure it will be resolved.
Except - you can submit payment in the middle of the night on Saturday - no mail pickup until Monday and if Monday is a holiday, Tuesday. With small vendors you determine when your card gets billed most of the time, my store is set up that your card (or PayPal) gets billed when you submit the order, regardless of the time, day or date....shipping on the other hand is determined, at least in part, by the carrier chosen and when and how often they will pickup.

Akula

Except - you can submit payment in the middle of the night on Saturday - no mail pickup until Monday and if Monday is a holiday, Tuesday. With small vendors you determine when your card gets billed most of the time, my store is set up that your card (or PayPal) gets billed when you submit the order, regardless of the time, day or date....shipping on the other hand is determined, at least in part, by the carrier chosen and when and how often they will pickup.

Think ya'll are off the topic. He was billed on the 4th, it's now 8 days without any contact. So unless it is posted on the vendors site they will be away from the office.....leaves the customer with bad feelings.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Think ya'll are off the topic. He was billed on the 4th, it's now 8 days without any contact. So unless it is posted on the vendors site they will be away from the office.....leaves the customer with bad feelings.
You know, I really worry about that...my wife is not very computer savvy and God forbid that I should be suddenly taken ill where I can't work......

edicehouse

His reputation is on the line, just not the vender. If you tell someone you will have a pen (or several pens) for them by the weekend, they may be gifts they are bringing for a wedding ect. It is bad juju. I hope it works out!

Akula

You know, I really worry about that...my wife is not very computer savvy and God forbid that I should be suddenly taken ill where I can't work......

If that's the case, then it's a legit reason for not updating a website and not getting things shipped....not an excuse for not responding to emails, someone knows and could provide information.

I've had the same thing happen. Sure will not be using that "respected" vendor any more. I ended up sending email, PM, and calling. Finally responded, sent the job....and it was wrong :(

Justturnin

I would try to give them the benefit of a doubt, I know its hard, until you know the situation. If it was me and something happened to one of my girls or my wife and I had to leave all of a sudden my business would be the furthest thing from my mind. In the mean time I would go looking elsewhere for the item if it is possible.

Carl Fisher

I've had the same thing happen. Sure will not be using that "respected" vendor any more. I ended up sending email, PM, and calling. Finally responded, sent the job....and it was wrong :(

That's big portion of what concerns me. I'll have no time to get corrected versions locally if I do actually receive them and they end up being wrong :frown: I'm on the hook for a big money order for a board of trustees and they have to be right and on time for an event.

Carl Fisher

I'm considering just sourcing locally and having them customized locally just so I know I'll have a backup plan. I'll have to eat a chunk of profit, but it's more important that I meet my commitment.

alinc100

I'm considering just sourcing locally and having them customized locally just so I know I'll have a backup plan. I'll have to eat a chunk of profit, but it's more important that I meet my commitment.

Carl,
It is unfortunate that you have to resort to a backup plan that is going to take profit out of your pocket.It is fortunate that you have a back up plan in place and can protect your reputation.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

If that's the case, then it's a legit reason for not updating a website and not getting things shipped....not an excuse for not responding to emails, someone knows and could provide information.
I sort of have an idea that if I were to have a heart attack or something like that, my wife would probably have other things on her mind with higher priority than answering emails.

Xander

I would do that. Get what you need elsewhere and complete your commitment. At least that way YOUR reputation is in good standing and you will not lose future orders.

If the first vendor does come through, on time or late, you can use whatever he is suppying for future projects.

Hope it all comes through for you

Padre

I sort of have an idea that if I were to have a heart attack or something like that, my wife would probably have other things on her mind with higher priority than answering emails.

Which, IMHO, would be the proper priority. But also Smitty, you have built up a reputation as being responsive, responsible, helpful....should I go on? :) That goes a long way in mitigating a temporary abscense due to an unforeseen medical/personal/professional emergency. I also think that because you have email, home address and phone number listed on your site, that someone could easily contact you or your wife, leave a message, etc. and they would be informed of such an emergency.

In this case, with the anonymous vendor, I would think a phone call or two, leaving a message, a pm here on IAP and an email should generate SOME form of response. If not, then the customer has a legitimate quarrel and this vendor should be held up for a "jeer." Just my $.02 worth.

nava1uni

There are times when email does not go through for various reasons. If you have a number I would call the person. I would also send Jeff and email and ask for his assistance. I think he would want to know if there is a problem and help to get it resolved.

Get on the phone and call them. If they do not answer or call back by the end of the day contact the CC company and get your money back. It will teach them a lesson. Go to the local source and get the job done.

i would go with Haynie's plan. Less profit maybe but woth the "save face" with the customer.

dbledsoe

[/quote]I sort of have an idea that if I were to have a heart attack or something like that, my wife would probably have other things on her mind with higher priority than answering emails.[/quote]

I can agree with that completely ---almost. I will probably get my head bitten off for this, but here goes: I think that when you set yourself up to serve or supply other people or businesses, you are making a commitment that they should be able to rely on. It means that if you are a small shop, you accept the responsibility and the obligation to have a back-up plan in case of an emergency. Very few emergencies require 100% attention for days at a time. Even if you are on life support, someone can make a phone call to implement plan B, even if plan B is to have someone call the open orders and tell them it will be awhile. You would not let the bird or cat or hamster starve to death, so why would you not give your customers the same consideration?
For me, I have decided not to do business with anyone who will not give me a phone number I can call. My money, my choice. I have been using e-mail since it was invented, and ordering online since it became available. I don't actually trust either of them unless I get a prompt response.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I sort of have an idea that if I were to have a heart attack or something like that, my wife would probably have other things on her mind with higher priority than answering emails.[/quote]
I can agree with that completely ---almost. I will probably get my head bitten off for this, but here goes: I think that when you set yourself up to serve or supply other people or businesses, you are making a commitment that they should be able to rely on. It means that if you are a small shop, you accept the responsibility and the obligation to have a back-up plan in case of an emergency. Very few emergencies require 100% attention for days at a time. Even if you are on life support, someone can make a phone call to implement plan B, even if plan B is to have someone call the open orders and tell them it will be awhile. You would not let the bird or cat or hamster starve to death, so why would you not give your customers the same consideration?
For me, I have decided not to do business with anyone who will not give me a phone number I can call. My money, my choice. I have been using e-mail since it was invented, and ordering online since it became available. I don't actually trust either of them unless I get a prompt response.[/quote] I seriously doubt that you are running a small business or you would recognize how near impossible that is. In theory, what you suggest is a good idea. In practice it is near impossible, until your business is large enough to have employees.

Why would anyone not closely associated with me ( such as my wife) ever need or want to know enough about my business to sit in for me if disaster strikes?

In dealing with a small business the buyer assumes some risks that they don't when dealing with a large corporation...they have to weigh that risk against any percieved advantages of dealing with a smaller company. We try to provide good service, fair prices, and fast response but we are not immune to dropping dead - it happens. If I die suddenly, I have a daughter who will eventually figure out everything that is going on in my business and will make sure no one is cheated....but she won't be able to do that on the first day or two or three.

The customer required that he would have it by the 16th.
The product was shipped with ample of time to get to South Carolina from GA before the 16th.
For those who want to know who the vendor is , well it is me ( lazerlinez.com)
Emails responses, First I have to see the email to respond and it sometimes happens that I miss an email or more than one. I get 300 plus emails a day and lots are spam and I use try hard not to miss any real emails but it happens a lot.

My contact details are on my website with my name and cell number on the contact page. Anyone can feel free to call me at any reasonable time of the day.

Shipping times - There is a big difference between what I do as a business and many other vendors here.
I manufacture everything I sell except one or two items and I manufacture items as the orders are placed. Just for inlay kits I have 127 different designs and that does not include the different color options or pen styles. I have long since gave up on making stock, you never have the right color or pen type available.
I do extra every time I do and kit so there are always about 250 - 350 kits available.
I also do wholesale and the qty's there can be 50 - 1200 of a type of product and that requires longer lead times to get orders out the door, I would normally take one to two days to ship a product that needs to be manufactured. Many times it goes out the same day but there are also times that it takes longer.

I am currently employing one full time worker and 1 more full time worker will start the end of the month, that should give me more capacity to get things out the door faster and to do some more RND

There are some days I would cut, drill & turn 800 - 1000 blanks into tubes for laser cutting and do 250 to 300 laser inlay kits complete ready to ship. For those who wonder how I can turn that many blanks at a time, it takes me only 5 sec per blank.

I always try to works smarter and not harder but I still fail at the working Harder part.:wink:

I hope that answers some of the question out there?

Last edited:

dbledsoe

For me, I have decided not to do business with anyone who will not give me a phone number I can call. My money, my choice. I have been using e-mail since it was invented, and ordering online since it became available. I don't actually trust either of them unless I get a prompt response.[/quote] I seriously doubt that you are running a small business or you would recognize how near impossible that is. In theory, what you suggest is a good idea. In practice it is near impossible, until your business is large enough to have employees.

Why would anyone not closely associated with me ( such as my wife) ever need or want to know enough about my business to sit in for me if disaster strikes?

In dealing with a small business the buyer assumes some risks that they don't when dealing with a large corporation...they have to weigh that risk against any percieved advantages of dealing with a smaller company. We try to provide good service, fair prices, and fast response but we are not immune to dropping dead - it happens. If I die suddenly, I have a daughter who will eventually figure out everything that is going on in my business and will make sure no one is cheated....but she won't be able to do that on the first day or two or three.[/quote]

See there - you do have a plan B.
icon7.gif

And no, I do not currently run a small business, but I have done so in the past. I do understand what the problems are. I'm not suggesting that the response should be immediate, but a week or more without someone answering a phone call or e-mail would not be reasonable

Carl Fisher

When you order custom work online, there are certain levels of expectation on communication. I honestly don't even know what I'm getting. No idea on font choice which I asked for at least once and since I already had to drop my pens off for engraving, Im sure they won't match.

As an internet vendor, communication becomes a large priority. Unanswered emails and PMs leave the customer hanging.
Delays and issues come up, but when they are not communicated it leaves the customer hanging blindly.

I'm an easy customer a long as the communication is there. In this case there was zero.

You said use your own judgement for the font and placement. ( Said in an email)
When you placed your order you had an option to say exactly what font you want and the instructions.

The customer is always right so I shall say no more.

Carl Fisher

There is much more I can add on this issue, but it's not worth chronicling everything out. I am choosing to simply move on and take my business elsewhere.

When it takes a thread like this to get a response, even without naming names, I'm sorry if you feel that my expectations are too high. We'll just call it a difference of ethics.

Last edited:

StephenM

When you placed your order you had an option to say exactly what font you want and the instructions.

The customer is always right so I shall say no more.

I believe he is saying that since he had to drop some off locally for engraving and he doesn't know what he's getting from you, they won't match. If he had gotten all of them from you, it wouldn't be an issue.

As someone with no dog in this fight, I'd suggest you both take the high road and take it to PMs or Emails. Anything Carl says is going to be taken as piling on the bashing and anything Constant says is going to be taken the wrong way by some percentage of people which is going to hurt your business.

For those who feel shortchanged by me / lazerlinez please accept my apology
it is not my intention to not communicate but this site should not be seen as the place to sent messages for business done at the lazerlinez website, I might not see it for a day or two or more.

I would like to say one more thing about communication with vendors.

This is a great site and we are all enjoying it here but unless I or we advertise here communications should be done via the vendors website and not here.
I sometimes would not get to the IAP for a couple of days or are not logged in when I have a quick look to see what is new and therefor not getting the Pm's.

Last edited:

Haynie

Hey look at that Constant has a phone number on his contact page.

As a small business owner I can say we are human and mistakes get made. How about the mods close this. Remember what gets said on the net stays on the net, forever.

seamus7227

I want in on this one:

As an internet vendor, communication becomes a large priority. Unanswered emails and PMs leave the customer hanging.
Delays and issues come up, but when they are not communicated it leaves the customer hanging blindly.I'm an easy customer a long as the communication is there. In this case there was zero.

It is just my opinion that emails and PM's are great as a convenience, but when/if you have deadlines, how hard is it to pick up the phone and call, leave a voicemail and give it a day.

When you placed your order you had an option to say exactly what font you want and the instructions. The customer is always right so I shall say no more.

I will say it for you Constant, the customer is not always right, especially if the customer doesnt use the tools that have been given to him. I dont care how right a customer is supposed to be, (speaking about ethics here) if you know you could have called, you should have. How hard can it be to get someone's number nowadays? Hello, Google...... Dont be to proud to admit your own faults, cuz whether you like it or not, we all have them.

I would like to say one more thing about communication with vendors. This is a great site and we are all enjoying it here but unless I or we advertise here communications should be done via the vendors website and not here.
I sometimes would not get to the IAP for a couple of days or are not logged in when I have a quick look to see what is new and therefor not getting the Pm's.
People are very quick to get upset instead to direct the questions directly to the vendors website or perhaps with a phone call.

Well put.

I am in no way being paid or forced to write any of this. It is by my own free will.

Carl Fisher

Constant and I have taken this up via email. I'm sorry it took this thread to get a two-way dialogue going, but hopefully he will take the concerns I have sent him to heart.

I agree this thread should be closed at this point.

Carl Fisher

OK, the same thing I just told constant I will say here since it seems to be a point of contention.

Phone is unfortunately the least convenient form of communication for me during standard business hours. that's why I do business online.

Last edited:
Top Bottom