How do you pick one?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Been wanting to try a burls & swirls blank, but I've been holding back. Seems the $12 blank price(on average) is a little frightening, well when your not sure how to pick one out of the bunch it is.

So, how do you pick a burl/swirl blank?
Is there something specific I should 'look' to find?
Or is it just luck of the pick?

What do you do???

Scott (yup, I'm chicken) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

There's really no way to tell how the blank is going to look when turned . Many times a terrible looking blank will be beautiful when turned . Just choose your color and hope for the best .
If you buy the blank from one of the vendors here , they usually assemble the blanks to give the best effect when turned .

Last edited:

witz1976

I have yet to seen a "bad" WW pen. See something you like and turn a surprise. It usually is always different from the way it looks in the blank. Go for it!

Jmhoff10500

The blanks sold here are the best of the best... There are many pros and cons to each vendor and even each blank... For example:

Ankroms Burl and Swirl blanks are very nice quality and i have seen some of his work in person... He somehow finds a way to polish up the blanks so you can get a very good view of every aspect of the blank. These blanks are a great choice if you are interested in the pearlesence mica cornucopia of colors, as most of the blanks are not solid colors (what you want is based on your opinion)

ElMostro's Amalgum Mutts Burl Cap Blanks are another great choice... He is very good at matching colors and like most other vendors, uses the best of materials. I have heard very good things about his customer service, but have never ordered from him so i lack an authoritative opinion.

Those are definitely the largest vendors of "WW" Blanks but there are quite a few underdogs like me... I make the "Fusion" Blanks and turn them round so you can see what you are working with before you even mount it...

If you are looking for a first time experience, id recommend a blank you will really like so you can get a good first impression and feel for that type of blank. A good thing to look for in a blank like that is burl cap equality. you want an even balance between the burl caps and the resin. A blanks also looks a lot better when there are multiple pieces of burl that compliment each other so you pen is a swirl of caps instead of just half wood, half resin.

Then we get to colors. you want colors that compliment the burl cap being used and often a pen with multiple colors or hues looks better. Your opinion will decide if you want the colors with definition of just a swirl of color awesomeness... The kit also makes a successful pen and its personal preference that chooses that but dont be afraid to but a better kit for that better blanks, after all, it is a $12 blanks...

Next, if you are worried about not finding what you want, don't be afraid to get a hold of the sellers and ask what they have that best matches your want. All of the members on IAP will be glad to help and wont hesitate to help you find exactly what you are looking for.

We cant Post on a thread like this without mentioning TurnTex.com. If you are looking for amazing quality blanks made from great wood, Curtis can definitely help... His blanks are the of the highest quality (not to mention he helped developed the material to make them) and he has great cutomer service...

If you have any other Q's, just pm me so i dont have to write another novel:wink: and Good Luck!!!

Last edited:

snyiper

Worthless wood is what most would toss being too soft or wormy. These talented individuals take this wood and saturate them in a poly resin and add color so the wood voids and soft spots are all filled with the colored resin. Imagin if you will wood encapsuled in plastic.

Top Bottom