how do you organize your pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LarryDNJR

This is what I am currently using to organize My bushings.

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-container-storage-box-90243.html

From Harbor Freight a 24 Container Storage Box

Item # 90243

Clear plastic storage box with 24 individual containers that fit inside.

* Clear polypropylene construction for easy viewing of contents
* Easy snap-lock lids

Storage box: 9" L x 6-1/8" W x 2-3/8" H
Containers: 1-7/8" L x 1-7/8" W x 1" H

I paid $4.99 for it they are currently on sale at $2.99

I put each set of bushings in one of the little boxes labeled with a number. There is a chart on the inside lid that has listed what number goes to what type of kit. Information includes what type of kit and bushing product number depending on what store/manufacturer they are from. So far this has served Me well to keep things organized. When I am done with one set of bushings I promptly put them back in with the correctly numbered box. Right now I am maybe using 14 of the little boxes right now. I may go pick up another one of these since they are on sale just to have it on hand.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...ab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2237.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

Off subject a little, I use a short piece of bead chain (used for ceiling fans) and sting bushings on them. The I hang them on the front edge of the shelf where I do my designing.

wudnhed

I use clear plastic boxes with snap lids and stack them. Each box has pen name on the front for easy access. Dividers inside the boxes keeps pen parts separated and also the bushings that match.

I have stackable plastic bins for my blanks and mark them by types.

I use a clear fishing tackle box for the bushings. I write with a sharpie in the bottom of each slot which busings are which as I lose the stupid plastic bags. My kits are in a drawer.

When working on a pen, I hang the baggie with the parts on a nail so I won't misplace them.

rherrell

Clear small parts boxes from Wal Mart.................

attachment.php

attachment.php

I store my bushings, pen mill/sanding mill sleeves and anything else related to that pen type in small metal containers............
attachment.php

Attachments

• pen storage 001.jpg
    pen storage 001.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,986
  • pen storage 002.jpg
    pen storage 002.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,524
  • pen storage 003.jpg
    pen storage 003.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,285

Jim Smith

Like many others, my kits are placed on shower curtain "hooks' and stored in drawers. My drill bits and bushings were becoming quite a problem so I built a storage rack for them. The drill bits are arranged by designator; letter, metric or standard and the lable for each bushing set includes pen kit name and the bushing sizes as well drill bits sizes for that kit. The pullout slide at the bottom of the rack holds the instruction sheets for each kit in plastic sleeves.

011.jpg

This has turned out to be one of the most useful additions I've made to my "shop".

Jim Smith

capcrnch

I love this thread.
I'm currently storing in a mix of boxes, shelves, rubbermaid and plano bins.
I've got a lot of new ideas from here though!

Ligget

I must have approx 500 pen kits in my workshop, nearly all are kept in shoe boxes, I even have some old Father Sing kits from CSUSA still to turn when I get the time! LOL

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I must have approx 500 pen kits in my workshop, nearly all are kept in shoe boxes, I even have some old Father Sing kits from CSUSA still to turn when I get the time! LOL

Mark,
I've seen pictures of your shop. I wouldn't think you would have room for 500 pen kits!!!:eek:

randyrls

I got a two sets of bins in a case at Woodcraft. (Sorry Toni) They are about 14" W x 2" H x 10" D

There are 8 latching drawer sets. I put bushings, mandrels, drill bits, and bottle stopper chucks etc. in there. One drawer is my "build box". It contains 8 kits at a time while I am working on them.

For kits I put the kits in a large gallon zip lock bag and write the kit type on the bag, then into a large paper box with a lid.

Scott

I generally keep my pen kits in my shop someplace, although I occasionally keep them in the trunk of my car for a while. And while I am not joking about this being the extent of my organization, this is intended to get a chuckle! ;-)

Scott.

papaturner

I use clear plastic boxes with snap lids and stack them. Each box has pen name on the front for easy access. Dividers inside the boxes keeps pen parts separated and also the bushings that match.

I have stackable plastic bins for my blanks and mark them by types.

I use the same method with the exception of the bushings.........For those I use the shower curtain hangers.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I use the "Box-O-stuff" system. If it's not in one box I hope it's in another. I did find a box last night I had forgotten about. It was just like Christmas. Some day I'll get organized but then I won't be able to find anything.
:biggrin:

avbill

I went to IKEA and bought several organizational boxes that have 9 boxes in one bigger box. each of the smaller boxes 3 1/4x2 3/4 is 11 deep. I have labeled each box by the name of kit [cigar] with stock number. and color of finish. I also have a running inventor sheet that I check inventor every two months I have a smaller draw for my bushings All labeled.

Now back to remodeling the kitchen. If any person can help please drop by. Would like to make a pen from the granite we selected. Any special turning tool to use? and drill bit. I thought of a cement drill bit

arw01

I also use the plastic fishing tackle boxes for my pen kits.

Each type of kit gets it's own box, and the blanks are also in their own boxes. Plano makes a couple different types of boxes, some with dividers all the way across, some with a large area on the right, and others with NO dividers at all.

I make a small area with the dividers for the bushings and put them back in each box when I take them off the lathe.

3650.jpg

MEstorage_4.jpg

Jgrden

Bill Daniels, good luck on that granite pen. I have left over granite as well and can't even start to think of how to drill a hole in it. Let me know how you do, I'll watch.

Dudley Young

Couldn't find this post. Posted these somewhere else but here they are again. Good thing I like Claussen pickles. :biggrin:

Attachments

• kits & bushings.jpg
    kits & bushings.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 278
  • kits & bushings 2.jpg
    kits & bushings 2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 298
  • kits,parts & bushings.jpg
    kits,parts & bushings.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 433
  • assembly work station.jpg
    assembly work station.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC_0372.jpg
    DSC_0372.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 307

bobleibo

I use this for my bushings.... plastic case with 24 compartments - $5 from Harbor Freight. The containers are just film canisters - go to any place the develops film and they will give you all you want for free. I use the clear ones whenever possible so I can write the bushing name on the outside. I have 3 cases like this and never get my bushings mixed up. The bushings go back in the case as soon as I am done with them. Same type of plastic case for my kits.
My whole shop is like this...it drives normal people insane. Sorry, I'm a bit anal about my shop.....

Attachments

• 100_0166.JPG
    100_0166.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 312

phillywood

I got a two sets of bins in a case at Woodcraft. (Sorry Toni) They are about 14" W x 2" H x 10" D

There are 8 latching drawer sets. I put bushings, mandrels, drill bits, and bottle stopper chucks etc. in there. One drawer is my "build box". It contains 8 kits at a time while I am working on them.

For kits I put the kits in a large gallon zip lock bag and write the kit type on the bag, then into a large paper box with a lid.

:confused::confused::confused::confused: can you elaborate or take a pic.?

navycop

I wasn't sure where to add this>> I notice some people opening up all thier kits: slimline, jr gents, etc and sticking the tubes all together. Doesn't this get confusing? Also all the transmissions, nips, clips, etc. are together in the same container.

RyanNJ

I wasn't sure where to add this>> I notice some people opening up all thier kits: slimline, jr gents, etc and sticking the tubes all together. Doesn't this get confusing? Also all the transmissions, nips, clips, etc. are together in the same container.

I have actually thought about doing that but until my current way fills up i dont need to

MatthewZS

They stay neatly organized in labled bags, subdivided out by type and then finish on a big pegboard at my local woodworking shop till I want to build one at which point I go purchase it and take it home.

;)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
They stay neatly organized in labled bags, subdivided out by type and then finish on a big pegboard at my local woodworking shop till I want to build one at which point I go purchase it and take it home.

;)

That works ok unless you decide to make a pen and the store is closed, or like me its 28 miles one way to the store. that means $7.00 minimum in gas costs. :frown:

alphageek

Former Moderator

;)

That works ok unless you decide to make a pen and the store is closed, or like me its 28 miles one way to the store. that means $7.00 minimum in gas costs. :frown:

Not to mention the extra cost you throw into every pen. You could buy just a couple of kits from one of the vendors here and get every 3rd pen free. I do support my local woodworking shop too, but not super often for pen kits.!

I use one of these for my pen kits: http://www.harborfreight.com/parts-rack-with-removable-bins-95496.html

Labels on the front helps find things faster (when I keep them in order that is!)

aggromere

I went to target and bought 15 plastic lock top containers about the size of shoe boxes. They are large enough to hold up to 20 average sized kits. I put a label on each end with the kit name and drill bit sizes and keep them stacked in a cabinet. It works well for me. I also have one of those plastic drawer type cases mounted above my work bench with a compartment for each kit. I keep all the bushings and extra tubes in those by kit.

Top Bottom