How do you line up . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sdemars

How do you line up the head stock and the tail stock utilizing a double MT ?

I can see it's use with a swivel head like a NOVA, but I do not see how one would do it on a JET 1014.

I have lined up pretty close with the point to point method, but curious there is something i am missing . . .

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

How do you line up the head stock and the tail stock utilizing a double MT ?

I can see it's use with a swivel head like a NOVA, but I do not see how one would do it on a JET 1014.

I have lined up pretty close with the point to point method, but curious there is something i am missing . . .

Steve

The point to point test just means that at that point, the headstock and tailstock are aligned horizontally and vertically. It does NOT mean the headstock and tailstock center lines are inline. There is a subtle difference.

Insert one MT into the head stock spindle and the other end into the tail stock receiver. If you can seat both ends at the same time then the headstock and tailstock are both inline and aligned.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I've never seen a double MT. Where do you find one? Is this something I should know about?

The double MT can help align a lathe which has a swiveling / sliding headstock or a tailstock that can be adjusted.

If your lathe does not have these adjustments, it is unlikely you would find use for one unless you are making some unusual jigs or other strange fixtuers.

sdemars

My intention . . .

After much thought and staring at the lathes for a while I have come up with the following . . .

My intention is to use it as "check tool" for our 1014 JETS.

Slide alignment tool into headstock, mark depth, then slide alignment tool into tailstock, mark depth. Now you have a guide to follow.

Then place alignment tool into the tailstock, slide toward headstock, if it fits right in, everything is lined up.

If it does not fit, loosen bolts on headstock, move and place shims under headstock until tailstock with alignment tool slides in smoothly.

Re-tighten headstock bolts and recheck. Repeat procedure until you have perfect mating . .

You could also apply the shims between the base / stand & the lathe . . . regardless, I'm thing, ADJUST, CHECK & LOCK DOWN . . .

I am not a millwright or a machinist, so if this won't work, please let me know and why . . . seems like I would then have total alignment throughout the entire axis.

You could use "cheap" accurate shims, ie . . . Harbor Freight feeler gauge set . . .
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32214

Steve

Last edited:
Top Bottom