Hints for working with 1/2" corian?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

I just got a couple of large boxes of corian to play around with, and have some ideas to do with it, but I got a LOT of it, so I thought I'd throw this out and see if anybody has hints, tips or projects they want to share about this stuff.

Some general questions, what is the best way to glue it up without the line showing? What if the faces have writing or ink on them, do you sand clean before gluing? Do most people turn slimline pens out of a single 1/2 inch layer, or do you glue it up to 1x1? If you are going to glue two cut faces together, as opposed to the factory smooth sides, how do you prep it?

BTW one of the boxes I got was provided free of charge (minus shipping) by the freedom pen project, in red white and blue. Obviously the stipulation was that it be used for pens for the troops. I could turn for years on what they sent, so I'm willing to break it up and piece it out to people willing to turn a few pens, but who don't need 30+ pounds of the stuff.

PM me if interested.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JerryS

Make sure your tools are sharp and keep them that way . I would sand off that writing ( maybe you don't need to but that's what I would do ) A two part epoxy would be my choice for gluing blanks up , I've heard of people using just CA also .

If you think you could center up a 1/2 piece for a slimline then go for it . Eye it up with the tube perhaps there's enough material to turn .

I ran into a guy that made all the test colors of Dupont , he to was a turner and as you can imagine had tons of this stuff . He would glue up layers and turn salt & pepper , shakers , pens , bottle stoppers and all kind of stuff out of corian . Finish it just like acrylic .

Once you start turning the stuff I think the seems will blend in just fine .

nava1uni

I turn Corian and I glue it together with thick CA and clamp it and leave for a few hours or overnight. I do sand all of the ink, labels or printing to make sure it is a clean surface for good adherence. You can segment with it, especially if you have lots of colors. I get 2" square samples and glue them together then cut to shape that I want or need.

Rochester

I also received a boxful of corian pieces and decided to make some pens. So far I have only made slimlines. If you line up carefully you can easily drill them. The nice thing about it is that the material was free so if the drilling isn't quite right you haven't lost anything except a little time. I find that the slimline style is popular with ladies. They relate the corian with their kitchens.

stolicky

- I have glued it up, using the smooth sides, with medium CA. I make sure each surface is fully coated and then clamp over night.

- I have used the 1/2" pieces to turn many slimlines.

- Sharp tools, finish like any acrylic.

DozerMite

Banned
It can also be bent and shaped.

I get the 1/4" for scrolling, but it works great for segments.
I get it directly from the manufacturer. They let me pick through their over runs and scraps or I can get the stock right off the rack. The last piece I got was 48"x102".

byounghusband

I glued Corian together with MED CA and let it sit overnight... Sand the mating surfaces to get a nice clean bond and minimal seam. Turned it into a Cigar Pen...

Attachments

• Corian Cigar.jpg
    Corian Cigar.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 122
Top Bottom