Who has the O-rings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

In the past I have seen discussions about using very thin wall o-rings with certain capped pen kits because the cap often works itself loose. I never thought much of it because I carry my capped pens in a leather pouch and have not experienced the problem but today a customer emailed me saying that his cap frequently unscrews itself and is looking for a solution.

So........ Does anyone know the source for very thin wall o-rings that will fit the Craft Supply Jr Gent/Jr Statesman kit? Or as far as that goes, the o-ring for the Emperor kit as well?

I visited the local Lowes and Home Depot but what they had was way too thick.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
George, you need to check a bearing supply, like Kaman Bearing, or King Bearing--or a REAL hardware store (as opposed to a do-it-to-yourself center). Maybe, too, an industrial supply may be able to help you. The bearing shops are your best bet. Good luck!

livertrans

check at your local Ace Hardware. They have the o-rings in drawers. You can bring a pen with you and pick through the drawers and find the one that fits the best. I did that with my Barrons but cant remember what size they were. Seems at all the super center stores they are sold in packages and it is next to impossible to pick the correct size. But the o-rings were about .30 each at Ace which I thought was high, but whats a few cents on a expensive pen kit?

rherrell

Here's where I got mine......http://tinyurl.com/9mvkug
250 for $5, pretty much a LIFETME supply FOR ME.
I use dash #008 but 009 and 010 will work. They sell a sample box for $10 that has 29 different sizes, about 20 ea. of the smaller sizes, so you can experiment. Get the Buna-N material, it's the standard black o-ring.
By the way their sizing chart is about 11 spaces off so be careful. For reference a dash #008 is 3/16 x 5/16 x 1/16, actual size is 0.176 x .070.:wink:

Texatdurango

This is what I needed, thanks!

I PM'd Clewless to see if he still has any he wants to get rid of. I also visited Allorings.com and started to order their assortment for $10 but the shipping was $12 so I decided to hold off.

But seeing the assortment box at Allorings,com reminded me that I saw a similar box at Harbor Freight once upon a time so I think I'll pop by the next time in that part of town.

byounghusband

In the past I have seen discussions about using very thin wall o-rings with certain capped pen kits because the cap often works itself loose. I never thought much of it because I carry my capped pens in a leather pouch and have not experienced the problem but today a customer emailed me saying that his cap frequently unscrews itself and is looking for a solution.

So........ Does anyone know the source for very thin wall o-rings that will fit the Craft Supply Jr Gent/Jr Statesman kit? Or as far as that goes, the o-ring for the Emperor kit as well?

I visited the local Lowes and Home Depot but what they had was way too thick.

George,
I have a bunch I use for Barons and Jr. Gent/Satesmans... Do you need a few or a bunch?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey George!!

Get the o-ring package from Harbor Freight. This allows you to see most of the sizes.

When you find the one(s) you want, do a web search - I think I found "o-rings-r-us" or some other dumb name, but I bought several sizes (for kaleidoscopes) at a couple bucks a hundred. Far more than I will ever use, but someday someone will ask this question about kaleidoscopes and I will be a momentary hero!!!

Randy_

.....Get the o-ring package from Harbor Freight. This allows you to see most of the sizes......
That might work for HF; but I don't see how it would work for the Allorings?? Allorings lists several hundred different sizes of the Buna-N O-rings while the sample kit contains only 29 different sizes. It is reasonable to assume the sample kit only contains samples of the more commonly used sizes and might very well "NOT" contain a size that fits or is a close fit to what is needed for our pens.

If Rick says a #8 works, why not just trust his experience and purchase that size?? He has already done the experimentation!

George: If you don't get a response to your PM to Joe, you might contact a currently active member of Bubbasville East as Joe is or was "the home" of that group. You could also try to contact him through the web site listed in his signature
line: www.cybergifs.com

a-md.gif

Last edited:

CaptG

Hi George, google up mcmaster-carr, go to page 3382 in the online catalog and there is a size chart with pricing. cost a couple bucks for a pack of 100. They have no min. charge and eight different o-ring materials to pick from. Hope this helps.

btboone

MSC also has any and all sizes of O-rings like Mc Master Carr. Today, I made a special small O-ring for a laser fixture from a larger one simply by slicing it and supergluing. It worked fine in my application.

rherrell

?????

Rick: Not quite sure what you mean by the above. Can you clarify, please?
Sure, if you click on their sizing chart( on the Home Page) it's pretty obvious.The link I provided is not the Home Page so that's why it's confusing. Click the red allorings.com logo at the top of the page I linked to.
They have 8 columns of info. Columns 1,5,6,7 and 8 line up while columns 2,3 and 4 don't. Just count down equal amounts in column 1 and 2 to get them to line up. It's a bit confusing.:confused:

scotian12

When I buy classic rollerball kits from PSI they always include the o-rings knowing that their threads are loose. I don't put them on the pen or even include them with the purchase as I think I'm implying that there is something wrong with the kit. I've also noticed that the premium pen kits also have loose threads and I would not expect this. Would Mont Blanc give you a o-ring with their pens?What is wrong here and how do we explain it to the customer? Darrell

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Hey George!!

Get the o-ring package from Harbor Freight. This allows you to see most of the sizes.

When you find the one(s) you want, do a web search - I think I found "o-rings-r-us" or some other dumb name, but I bought several sizes (for kaleidoscopes) at a couple bucks a hundred. Far more than I will ever use, but someday someone will ask this question about kaleidoscopes and I will be a momentary hero!!!

I wonder what Cav will do with that comment??:wink:

Randy, I'll let it pass. I think it is sweet that our senior citizens are still active. :)

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey George!!

Randy, I'll let it pass. I think it is sweet that our senior citizens are still active. :)

See, the Christmas season even brings out the best in Cav. Bet he was wearing his "dress pinkys" too.

BTW, Cav, I snowblowed (yes, with the help of a machine, wise guy!!) for over an hour today. This Senior Citizen is POOPED!!! and seven more inches today, then rest, then another 7 in a couple days.

Even MY DURANGO won't push 22 inches out of the way ---- BLACHHHHH!

Randy_

Sure, if you click on their sizing chart( on the Home Page) it's pretty obvious.The link I provided is not the Home Page so that's why it's confusing. Click the red allorings.com logo at the top of the page I linked to.
They have 8 columns of info. Columns 1,5,6,7 and 8 line up while columns 2,3 and 4 don't. Just count down equal amounts in column 1 and 2 to get them to line up. It's a bit confusing.:confused:

I guess it must be a computer display thing? They all line up perfectly for me and the numbers and conversions all make sense.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager

Even MY DURANGO won't push 22 inches out of the way ---- BLACHHHHH!
My F-350 will and it is for sale. CHEAP I am sick of plowing and am getting out of the business. This truck has pushed the piles that the town leaves sitting on the corner by my house. It is not the truck you would want to drive daily, but it will push a lot of snow and gets great milage(6mpg).

Delivery is available for a Kringle.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Texatdurango

After a little looking around and thinking, I decided to take a different approach with the o-ring.

To begin with, I bought both o-ring assortments that Harbor Freight had and the thinnest o-rings were way too thick. I visited my local Ace hardware and found a wider, thinner o-ring that fit nice and snug in the cap, not around the front section.

Not being a big fan of the o-ring showing below the nib of the pen, I thought this might just work so I grabbed a few and after playing around with them have decided this is the way for me to go.

The o-rings I ended up with are only 1/32" thick and have an ID of 15/32". They fit snugly inside the cap and can be held in place with a very tiny drop or two of CA. They give about the same amount of torque as the thicker o-ring around the barrel but are out of sight and being glued in, should be less of a hassle with the customer.

Here is a shot of my pen with a small o-ring taken from some kit I had and if you look closely you will the alternative o-ring inside the cap.

If you were buying a pen and wanted the o-ring seal, which would you prefer?

Note: With either o-ring, the cap does not thread dow as far over the lower body as designed but with the o-ring in the cap, the cap could be turned down inside about .025" so the o-ring would function as desired while allowing the cap to cover the lower barrel as designed.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

o-ring.jpg

Top Bottom