Hi from another newbie in South Carolina!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wilross3

Hello all! Been interested in pen turning for quite a while, but haven't taken that first step. After browsing some of the beautiful projects here I am newly inspired!

I've looked at some of the pen turning kits at Woodcrafter, but would love some suggestions for what I would need to get started. I think I'd like a variable speed lathe that I won't outgrow anytime soon. Any suggestions on a quality starter type of package anywhere?

Looking forward to making some pens and hopefully someday contributing on this forum.

Bill

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Welcome Bill. The starter packages often have things you really don't need or offer multiples of the same item that you will get bored with. You are better off buying items individually.

There are many options for a lathe. A great deal depends on what your budget is and what you will use it for. If you ever expect to turn anything larger then pens and bottle stoppers you will want a bigger lathe. You can get a basic lathe for about $200 but you will be turning smaller items and it won't be variable speed.

Take a look at Jet lathes. They offer a wide range of sizes and features. It will give you a good idea of what you get for the money. There are brands that are cheaper and brand that are more expensive and worth the extra expense but the Jet variety will give you a good starting point.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas.

A mini-lathe will be fine for turning pens and other small items, but if you have plans for turning larger things, you might want to consider a larger lathe. A VS is nice, but not a necessity. If you do get one, look for a true electronic speed control.

I have an Excelsior from Rockler it's a 5-speed, 10x18 and you have to move the belt to change speeds. Harbor Freight has the same lathe in their own color. It's fine for my needs but everyone has to evaluate their own needs & wants.

Carl Fisher

Hey Bill. Welcome aboard!

I'm just next door in Fort Mill. We have a local club that meets at least every other month over in Indian Land.

Feel free to reach out to me if you ever need anything.

bloodhound

Welcome to the site Bill. And if you get into pen turning. Welcome to many hours of head scratching and research and trial and error. But, there is a pay off when you turn out your first pen you are proud of.

As far as lathes. Another suggestion is Craigslist. Everyday here in Mass. there are wood lathes there and for a good price. Just a thought.

And last but not least. Read read read... This site is full of more useful info than you can read in a year.

Again welcome.

wob50

Welcome from Louisiana
Yes check in with the local woodturners chapter someone
there mite be looking for a larger lathe and want to sell
there's that is how i got mine
Again welcome
Robert

Simsonicole

Welcome from Perth, Western Australia Bill! I look around at some of the stuff on here and my motivation levels goes through the roof!...now if I only had the skill to match it :)

Top Bottom