Hi from a newby!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Hi, I just started making pens. This is my second pen. I want to try to make my own center ring since I didn't like being constrained to the slim size. I would have done it on this one but I discovered self-made rings afterwards. so, take this as a challenge to myself to make one more in line with the Russ Fairfield contest. I can't get to my friend's shop to make another one before the 17th though. Maybe the beginner contest ....

Thanks for looking!

Kelly

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 121
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 84
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Kelly.
Excellent job for a second pen. Be sure to keep your first few so you can look back on them down the road & gauge your progress.
I turn mostly slimlines and like to use comfort bands or make my own also. Slimlines are frowned on by some, but they give you more flexibility for individual creativity than most other kits.
Enjoy the contests & good luck!
Ed

Krash

2nd pen

Beautiful blank. Nice fit and finish. Is it dyed box elder??

Yes! My first was made from pink ivory. I added a couple humps that made it a little awkward. I saw this blank and was intriguied. Spent too much on it but my wife absolutely loves it!

I got going on this because my brother-in-law does it in his shop and my son wanted to make some groomsmen gifts for hi upcoming wedding. He has already turned 11 for groomsmen and others in the wedding. He is having so much fun!

Attached are a few of his.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 64
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 64
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 74

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
You should get your son to enter one of his pens in the Beginner or Intermediate pen contest here. Just don't post a photo of it anywhere.

rockb

Welcome Kelly from California....IAP's a great place to hang out. Lots of knowledge in this group.

Top Bottom