Hello from Puerto Rico

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mannyv

Hello everyone! I am new to this hobby and I do believe it will be as enjoyable as painting, of which is my favorite since I've been painting for well over 35yrs. A little about myself, collage 4yrs military Viet Nam era vet, retired civil svc.

Sports/hobbies: Scuba, Photographer, Painting, and woodworking.

What brought me to Pen-turning? well this past year a good friend of mine was remodeling a very old house seems built by the Spaniards late 1600 -early 1800s well his workers brought down some very old and heavy lumber from the ceiling structure, I was given a piece to experiment with (4x4x38")

I found this wood to very dense and heavy very well preserved, and since I had been entertaining Pen turning as a hobby why not start with this wood; that is after learning how to properly turn a pen blanks.

Well I will be reading your forums and obviously learning, oh yes before I forget.. Shellawax Polish can not be delivered to my area (over seas) due to its flammable combustibility, does anyone know of a alternative? I've been told CA as an alternative. Before closing I would like to thank you for accepting me as a member of I.A.P.

Manny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Welcome to the fun Manny.
You can find many posting about finishing here. There is a whole section about it.
There is also a posting about a new produst......sound very interesting.

Again Welcome

Tom T

Welcome from sunny Florida.
Look for a slow boat to ship it on. I think they can do combustibles.
I use Mylands high build friction polish. Some like Sheila better.
Wife and I were on a cruise to Puerto Rico in December. Had a nice time.

plano_harry

Hi Manny, welcome from Texas! You will enjoy this hobby. Making pens is just like painting -- except you can carry your art with you so others can admire, oh yeah and you can use it every day.:)

Harry

Top Bottom