Hi Another Canuk here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chief Hill

Hello all. My name is Rob Hill from Windsor Ontario Canada and I love this forum. Its very helpful and quite friendly.
Here is a bit about me I work full time as an ERT Fire chief in a industrial fire fighting team and also am a soldier with the Canadian Forces Part time. I have been a woodworker for years and have got on to this pen CRAZE about 4 months ago. The itch started when the wife said. IF YOU ARE GONNA SPEND SO MUCH TIME IN THE WORKSHOP (GARAGE) why don't you do something that makes money instead of making furniture and giving it away. So I decided on pen turning I went to Lowes and bought a Mini Lathe (cheep red thing / But variable speed #1 MT and it works great)..
I started turning some slim lines and streamline pens. Well then I got into segmenting different elaborate designs, aluminum inserts, Celtic Cross's, bullet pens. etc. Now I am in the El Grande, Canadiana kits.
I am loving this new hobby and love the response from people Wow you really made this!!!!
The wife a Reg Nurse and I took in the pens I made into work and they sold with great interest, everybody has said Christmas will boom. Long story short.... I was asked to set up a booth at our market to sell the pens which I have done and now its turning into a side business. I have made up a professional flyers and business cards. signs. display's for my little business ( Superior Designs Pens) Now I am trying to get myself set up at other events to get the word out and sell more to keep me busy.
Its getting bad now. I am starting to look at trees and burl woods on them wondering how I can get it to make more pens.

Look forward to talking with you all and posting up some pics.

Thanks,
Chief Hill
Superior Designs Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

micharms

Rob:
Welcome from Owen Sound. Glad to hear that things have taken off for you. Up in this neck of the woods the pen sales are fairly slow. Hopefully that will change in the future.

Michael

scotian12

Welcome Rob from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Yes, you know that you have a serious pen turning addiction when you estimate the number of pen blanks you can get out of a tree. I realized it when I was estimating the number of pen blanks I could get out of the church pulpit. Regards Darrell Eisner

Chief Hill

Thanks gents glad to be abord. I look forward to sharing secrets and gain new skills from all of you. First question where is the best place for a Canadian to buy pen kits? I currently use William wood write online. Any other suggestions? I would like to get into states men pens but he does not sell them.

scotian12

Rob...There are a number of pen kit suppliers in Canada. Try Lee Valley, Jacquescoulombe.com,kjponline.com. Once your addiction kicks into high gear and you need more styles and quantities, better prices you will need to try the US suppliers. Use USPS for shipments to avoid high brokerage charges. US suppliers... CSUSA , Woodturningz.com,Penn State, exoticblanks.com to name a few. There are a number of pen kit and pen blank suppliers on IAP who have quality products, great prices and super personal service. Darrell Eisner

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks gents glad to be abord. I look forward to sharing secrets and gain new skills from all of you. First question where is the best place for a Canadian to buy pen kits? I currently use William wood write online. Any other suggestions? I would like to get into states men pens but he does not sell them.
Hi Chief; Call John @ Woodchuckers on Weston Rd. in TO for any PSI kits. He's the Canadian go-to-guy, Toronto 800 551 0192. A great guy to deal with, (maybe a little forgetful) but none of us have all positive qualities.

Be sure to tell him I sent you, that way I get a 50% discount on all my future orders, (I can only wish) but at least you will have something in common to talk about!

Top Bottom