Here's a new idea I'm playing with

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wood Butcher

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Forget trademarked names, think "gag gifts":

"A ball you won't lose" comes to mind.

Oh---Great idea and nice execution, Bill!!!!

Or give two as a set!

Those look really nice. I have thought about trying that with actual golfballs, but figured the seem would be too visible. Now making something that LOOKS like a golf ball, that's the way to go!

RyanNJ

Tried it myself... FAIL!!!! The clay was too thick diples were all over no pattern even though i tried..... Any tips on how to get the clay the right size

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I run the white Sculpy III PC through a pasta machine on the thickest setting and, on the upper cigar pen section, it makes it only slightly oversized compared to the bushings. I use liquid Sculpy to "glue" the PC to the sanded brass tube (really thin coat) and smooth the seam until it isn't noticable. I roll the whole thing with my hand until the thick end is the same as the larger bushing. I then roll the other end of the blank with the heel of the palm of my hand while it is on a clean, smooth 12x12 ceramic tile checking it against the smaller bushing until it is the same diameter. Trim the PC to the length of the brass tube on both ends BEFORE checking the fit of PC to bushings. I have an adjustable mandrel and mount the bushings and PC covered tube on it and install the brass thumb nut to hold it snuggly. I made a tool from Corian, you could use the rounded end of a paint brush, to make the dimples. It took a bunch of dimpling, remove the PC, run it back through the pasta machine, reapply to the brass tube, size to the bushings and mount on the mandrel and repeat again and again when you don't like what you end up with. The dimples should be proportionate to the pen, not the actual size of those on a golf ball. Keeping the PC blank on the mandrel, I make a row of dimples all the way around the small end or the blank keeping them in a straight line and adjusting the dimple size and depth so they meet at the start point. The second and rest of the rows of dimples are placed between the dimples of the first row so they line up like bowling pins. I find that 10 or 11 per row is about right but keep the rows straight. Keep doing that until you reach the end of the blank then carefully remove it and the bushings. I made a baking stand from a 3x 6 block of wood with 1/4" dowels stuck in it to hold the blanks upright for baking at 375 degrees (for Sculpy) for 30 min. Tent the "rack" with foil so the blanks don't get burned by the elements of your Easy Bake Oven, toaster oven for most of you. Allow the whole thing to cool completely in the oven with the door closed then you can remove it. I allow these to rest for 12 hrs plus to cure the PC a little more. At the lathe, apply 2 coats of thin CA with a paper towel trying not too press too hard or you will have fuzz on the blanks. Apply the decal of choice, printed on wet transfer decal paper from Testors works well, and use a soft paint brush or your finger to press te decal into the dimples. Let this dry over night and then apply 3 to 487 more coats of the thin CA. All done. Sorry it's so long. I've sold a few finished blanks for $18 ea and believe that with the labor involved it's about as fair as I can come up with. Thaaat's all folks.

Rfturner

I saw that and that is definately a winner. one thing that you could also do is add a leather handle look to the top or bottom like the top of a golf club

Nice job. I made a few like this a couple months ago, but haven't done anything else with them. To save you a little time you can use Magic Transfer Papper or Lazertran silk paper to apply the decal before you cure the PC.

It is nice to see someone else taking over the sports theme pens.

Top Bottom