Heptagon!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

Here is something a little different that I turned. It is a heptagon (seven sided) as well as being a polygon.

This heptagon dish is from a dry maple block I had which was 7.5" square and 2.125" thick. It also features a concave scalloped edge.
The finished size is just under 7" across, 1.75" tall, and the walls are just under 1/8" thick. It weighs in at just 1.4 ounces and is currently unfinished.

The maple is very plain as this is dish is for my Wifey to use as a project piece in a Cynthia Gibson pyrography workshop this coming week. I will add finish to the dish after she has worked her magic on it to make this a collaborative piece.
Thanks for looking! Comments welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_2152.jpg
    IMG_2152.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2151.jpg
    IMG_2151.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 215
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Nicely done Charlie. Get your "Wifey", I don't know how you get away with that, to make some samples of the Pyrography if shaded. The finish can hide the shading and negate much of her hard work. Now off you go and cut some card size samples.

Charlie_W

Nicely done Charlie. Get your "Wifey", I don't know how you get away with that, to make some samples of the Pyrography if shaded. The finish can hide the shading and negate much of her hard work. Now off you go and cut some card size samples.

Pete,
Thanks for pointing this out! I was planning on just doing a clear finish. Probably will spray with some satin or flat lacquer as to not rub her burning and smudge it. I will just mist the first several coats.

plantman

Wow, how do you do that?

Les; The internal angle of two outer sides is 128 1/2 degrees. The inside angle of each of the seven triangles is just short of 51 1/2 degrees. 51 1/2 X 7 will give you 360.5 degrees. I don't think anyone will notice if one triangle is .5 degrees smaller than the other 6. Jim S

Last edited:

Curly

Pete, Thanks for pointing this out! I was planning on just doing a clear finish. Probably will spray with some satin or flat lacquer as to not rub her burning and smudge it. I will just mist the first several coats.

Finishes that are amber or yellowish can do it. Finishing oils for sure. Water clear finishes likely won't. Maybe she could ask the instructor what would be best.

Charlie_W

Post a picture of the finished piece. Cynthia Gibson does some fabulous work. You did a nice job on the "canvas". Evan

Evan,
Oh My Goodness! My wife took Cynthia's 2 day workshop and can't stop talking about it. She learned so much!
As you said, Cynthia does do fabulous work and the club meeting demo tonight was one of the best we have had this year!
Her display pieces are superb!
My wife didn't burn any in the heptagon dish yet. Instead, she started on a 9" maple platter I turned. I had five unfinished turned pieces for her to have for the class to pick from and get input from Cynthia on embellishments for these.

I will post a pics as we get some pieces finished.

Thanks for the compliment!

jttheclockman

Not sure how many people realize that is not easy to do. You did a great job and this will open many more avenues in doing things like that. Thanks for showing and an A++++ Keep up the great work.

Post a picture of the finished piece. Cynthia Gibson does some fabulous work. You did a nice job on the "canvas". Evan

I have the pyrography complete but need to get the correct color pens to put the color on and then the finish. I will post a picture when it is done. I also have my idea for that heptagon bowl.

Top Bottom