Help with business cards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I've given away a lot of pen in the last 6 or so months I been turning. I've been ask if I had a business card and I just say no. Evelyn ordered a Cheesecake for a local company called Thanks Goodness It Homemade. I had Evelyn have the lady who made it pick out a pen from some that I made. She ask if I had a card. She thought she could sell some to go along with her orders. I guess it time to have some business cards made up. I want the main focus to be my pens but I want to let folks know I can do other small woodworking items. I'm not sure just how to put that one a card or just were to go for the cards. Should I do just a simple black and white card of one with a picture of a pen I have made and in color. Are there places that will help me with the design. I'm thinking about Pepaw's Woodworking as a name but I'm open of any other suggestion. Thanks in advance to the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

danontheroof

The guy (arborist) who works on our trees has a business card made out of veneer... It was very cool and probably the only business card I would say was memorable... I could ask him where he got them.

ladycop322

Vista Print...I designed these and paid $10 for 250

Attachments

• lp.jpg
    lp.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 190

Greg Savage

Dan…..I've handed out a lot of business cards over the years. Biz cards seem to be one of those things that people will ask for just to be polite. I've only had a handful of calls or inquiries as a direct result of my cards.

Cards are a necessary evil in my mind…..A website is much more effective. But, a business card should work in conjunction with a website…….Let the card guide people to a website so they may browse images of great looking pens…….Your website is where you could let the folks know about all the other special products you make.

Regarding the design, Keep it simple….You don't want excessive information cluttering up the design……If you have a nice photo of your pen use it in a creative way…….Your name/logo should be large enough to be the main focus, but leave enough room for a phone number and web address.
As for a name, I'd call it something with a bit of "flair" or style to it…….."Custom Pens by Dan"……" The Pen Works"…….."Pens with Panache"……….In my opinion, Pepaw's Woodworking may attract folks looking for you to line a closet with cedar! It may be a bit too general.
Remember…..Exhibit a highly stylized look with your card and it will elevate the value of your product in a client's mind.

In my case, since I am a boutique guitar builder, I have black card with a glowing neon blue skull on my cards (guitar guys and bikers love skulls!) with my last name in a huge glowing font……..My cards look "rock'n'roll" and don't get lost in a pile of plain white biz cards……….I design all of my own graphics and print my own cards.

Of course, this is my opinion and I've been wrong before!!!!!!

Greg Savage
Savage Guitar Design

gimpy

I have mine made at Vista print also:

Attachments

• Gimpy's Bussiness Card (VISTA PRINT 8-21-2013_edited-1.jpg
    Gimpy's Bussiness Card (VISTA PRINT 8-21-2013_edited-1.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 224

cestmoi

I use vistaprint.com all the time for both personal and client work and have been very pleased with the site for many years. If you're looking for a custom logo, you might try fiverr.com. All services start at $5. That's where I got the avatar that is in my profile and that ib use for my blog site. As a marketing/communications person, I agree with the comment above about keeping the business card relatively simple. Too much information is off-putting. You want the type to be legible as well. I see too many small business cards with script type that is difficult to read and does not look professional.

Just my two cents...

avbill

Take your Time

Your business card is what reminds the individual about your product after the show. Its your marketing tool. Start today and look at business cards. Ask your self why do I still have this card.

Whatever you do make the card have a statement. Design with a unusual twist ~ let it be unique. There is Ladycop business its clean has the proper negative space , its well balance. and her message is all there for you.

I have a two sided business the On the back side of my card I have my name phone number and email.photo is not the best

Attachments

• photo002.JPG
    photo002.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 213

beck3906

You can look at Staples and Office Max but I believe their custom business card system back doors into Vistaprint. I used vistaprint and was happy. I also ordered some of the weighted card holders to use in my booths. Keeps the cards organized on the table during winds.

Mike Powell

For ideas do a google search. I have also been pondering the idea of business cards. I believe mine will go something like business info on the front, pen info on the back (type of wood, refill, and other good info the buyer may want)

plano_harry

I am a VistaPrint regular. They offer a ton of bargain upsells at checkout. You might just order half of what you want and when you go to checkout, they will probably offer a lot more for a couple of bucks. I also went with the stickers - your business card is printed on a satin like sticker of the same size which I attach to my boxes.

You can design your card using something like Gimp and save as a jpg then upload that to VistaPrint and you will be very pleased with the results and low cost.

NittanyLion

Vista Print for me Dan. I liked that I could upload a pic and use that as my background/template. I chose better paper and spent around $25-$30 for 500.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 135
Top Bottom