Wood Workers Coop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

If one found a large but old facility that covers an acre of land, would a wood workers co-op sound attractive to those who are using their garage or a portable 8 X 12 unit? Functions:
  1. Each articipant rents a spot
  2. Each participan is allowed a decent amount of power
  3. Classes conducted by experts on monthly basis
  4. Faiores sponosred by equipment manufacturers quarterly
  5. Large equipment (babd saw, table saw, drill press) are available to members
So expenses would include
  • Electricty
  • Lease
  • Liablilty Insurance
  • Partions
  • Equiment
  • Jantorial

What are your thoughts?:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gimpy

I guess it would depend on the expenses, I'm sure insurance isn't cheap.

I have heard of folks doing this, and they love it

keep us posted

low_48

It's been tried often. Woodcraft bought one of the first companies to try this across the U.S., and I think that's completely dead now. Maybe one or two left in business. You have to remember that it might be better to market to retirees, but most of those guys already have the tools. Woodworking is not a major growth industry for younger folks. It's an expensive hobby for young people trying to start a family. Priced a truck load of lumber lately? Maybe something in the "Maker" movement for these younger people, but they will want computer controlled machinery, laser cutters, and 3d modeling machines. Biggest issues I've heard about that killed these kind of businesses, were heavy use during core hours and weekends. Then it sits empty for a lot of other hours. Folks get tired of waiting for the machinery during these core hours, then don't renew the next year. Lots of turn over, just like health clubs. A place opened in Champaign, IL. But these guys formed by selling shares. It was a big buy in, but not a lot different than building a really nicely equipped shop and filling it with major tools. They have expanded to have a separate building as a school, and have a Rockler associate retail store and supplies. It's a wonderful looking place. You'll need lots more insurance than just liability., and a lot longer expense list. Don't forget to add a spell checker in the costs. LOL

thewishman

I joined a maker space with all of the woodworking tools, metal working tools, laser engraver, welding shop, blacksmith shop plus lots of other stuff. There is a monthly membership fee ($35) and an hourly shop fee for the tools used ($5 for woodshop tools to $35 for laser). The best part is meeting people that make other things and collaborating on projects and sharing ideas. The 24/7 access to heated and cooled workspace is a big bonus.

Search for Makerspace. Here's one in Riverside: VOCADEMY

TimS124

You could look at the website for the Sawdust Shop for yet another example. They're good folks, aimed at hobbyists, here in the Silicon Valley area.

There are also some chains of maker spaces spreading: TechShop, Fab Lab, probably some others...

Plenty of one-off versions as well. Having good instruction and somebody knowledgable on hand to help BEFORE equipment gets misused....and good training! Especially the "good training" part...lots of self-taught woodworkers out there with some pretty bad habits and very incomplete training...

I have access to a couple of local maker spaces and really enjoy the opportunities. Sometimes, the condition of equipment gets irritating, but given that I can get my hands on any of over a half dozen laser engravers and nearly as many CNC routers, 4 top-notch SawStop saws, a water jet, large metal lathes, and lots of other things I could never fit in my garage, it's worth the effort and inconvenience.

Top Bottom