Help selecting wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I have a couple of kits that are in high dollar range, a few Jr Emperors lotus and an Imperial, I'm really getting bored with the usual stuff like Purple heart, Caribbean Rosewood, Olive, Bubinga, and one of these kits is for someone quite special who is also a fellow turner, I've looked at Nolan's wood but not much there, I was hoping to find some drop dead Ambonya burl, or some killer DIW, but none to be found.
I checked the classifieds individual and business and most valued Nolan has or had some Zircote , but I'm not familiar with it even Khali is low on woods, any body have any ideas where I can get something that is extra special,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Because of previous experience with the above seller, I'd be a bit suspect of the accuracy of the photography in their auction offerings. While I have, to be sure, received some nice product from them, the pictures NEVER depict even closely what I actually receive. Descriptions are sometimes suspect, as well. I purchased some "Stabilized Two-Toned Amboyna Burl", and all I can figure is that the two tones are supposed to be orange and orange-er, or red and redder. Caveat Emptor. (Let the buyer beware).

marcruby

Have you looks at these guy?

http://www.burlsource.com/

Unfortunately they deal to the large blank crowd to the prices can be a bitter pill. The do have a few smaller cuts that are interesting - look at the lace sheoak for instance. I could even be talked into splitting the cost on some things.

Marc

redfishsc

I can attest that you will get superb quality stuff from Nolan.

His Red mallee burl is also exquisite, and the colors are muted enough to look fantastic along with the more ornate Emperor types.

gerryr

I agree. I bought from that seller once and never again. What I got was not very close to what the picture looked like. I do believe there is a LOT of photoshopping going on. Stick with people here and you won't be disappointed. Or look at what AZ Silhouettte offers.

Because of previous experience with the above seller, I'd be a bit suspect of the accuracy of the photography in their auction offerings. While I have, to be sure, received some nice product from them, the pictures NEVER depict even closely what I actually receive. Descriptions are sometimes suspect, as well. I purchased some "Stabilized Two-Toned Amboyna Burl", and all I can figure is that the two tones are supposed to be orange and orange-er, or red and redder. Caveat Emptor. (Let the buyer beware).

hewunch

I really like the wood pictured below. It is called Afzelia Xylay. It looks like Gator skin to me. If you are interested in it PM me and I will let you know where I got it.

obj320geo320pg6p12.jpg

Nolan

I have a couple of kits that are in high dollar range, a few Jr Emperors lotus and an Imperial, I'm really getting bored with the usual stuff like Purple heart, Caribbean Rosewood, Olive, Bubinga, and one of these kits is for someone quite special who is also a fellow turner, I've looked at Nolan's wood but not much there, I was hoping to find some drop dead Ambonya burl, or some killer DIW, but none to be found.
I checked the classifieds individual and business and most valued Nolan has or had some Zircote , but I'm not familiar with it even Khali is low on woods, any body have any ideas where I can get something that is extra special,

Did you email me a request that I didnt get? If so I am sorry been having email troubles. There is a current listing of Zircote that you are talking about and has been going on for a week or so. BTW I carry and have tons of stuff that isnt listed for sale in my adds. Let me know if I can help.

marcruby

Nolan;

What do you have squirrelled away there? I know your wood is good - got any afzilla xylay? that looks interesting. what does it take to get on your 'secret stash' list.

Marc

Did you email me a request that I didnt get? If so I am sorry been having email troubles. There is a current listing of Zircote that you are talking about and has been going on for a week or so. BTW I carry and have tons of stuff that isnt listed for sale in my adds. Let me know if I can help.

gerryr

IPD_Mrs

If you are looking for wood, I can reccomend this supplier:

http://stores.ebay.com/Bobs-Exotic-Woods_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

I have purchased from him several times, and have been very pleased.

Consider Truestone for something really special too.

Dan

I wouldn't touch the guy in Madison, IN with a 10' pole.
Bought from him one time and that was enough.

We get 99% of our woods from Nolan with the exception of Hawaiian woods and every now and then local woods. If you do not see something that you like from Nolan then I highly recommend something like curly spalted mango which is light weight and is good for those heavier kits. Another good opion is some good redwood burl from Nolan. The main problem with the high end kits is all the bling competes with the wood. Send a few PMs to Nolan and he will walk you through some good choices. Oh and if the kit is a black Ti then take a good look at the yellow box burl too!

Mike

Nolan

Nolan;

What do you have squirrelled away there? I know your wood is good - got any afzilla xylay? that looks interesting. what does it take to get on your 'secret stash' list.

Marc

My load with X-lay in it should be here anytime now, there is no special list all you need to do is send me an email letting me know what your looking for. If you want a blank that is just crazy figure just let me know and I will pull some out of storage for you to choose from. Those blanks are pricey but they are worth it IMHO.
Nolan

mick

Not to hi-jack the thread but got a question for Nolan. Will you be posting when the xlay gets here? I'd really like some.

Mike

nava1uni

I have used River Edge Exotics and there wood is nice. You should also look at www.rosecitylumber.com They are out of Oregon and have really nice wood, they even sell pen blanks sizes in some woods. Their wood is from sustainable sources, and wood that has been cleared from land and they rescue it and make it available to the public. Nice wood.

Mr Vic

Ken, Have you thought about some cedar. I've salvage several chunks from my fire wood pile. I also have some Juniper/Aromatic Cedar (I believe), once again saved fromt the wood pile which a friend dropped of when he cleared forty acres of 100 year old plus barb wire fencing. The Juniper has a dark redish brown with some yellow streaking. I've attached some picks of pens from the wood. Be glade to root around the shop and wood plie to see what I come up with. Word of warning.....I spent more time on my knees hunting for the knots on the cedar pen then I did turning.....And oh yeah...cost is high...you'd have to pay US Postage...

Found wood is cheap fun.....

Attachments

• Juniper Pen.JPG
    Juniper Pen.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Cedar Pen.JPG
    Cedar Pen.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 93

Dario

I find Nolan's stuff among the best and it is tough to find better.

FYI, half of my personal stash probably came from Nolan.

Top Bottom