HELP... New Guy Mistake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

Hello. I've posted a couple of times on this forum and have not yet properly introduced myself. So, I figured that I might as well introduce myself as I admit to my error in pen assembly and ask for your help. My name is Jim Smith. I live in Conyers, Georgia which is about 20 miles Southeast of Atlanta. I'm very new to turning and pretty well hooked on pen making already. I've managed to complete about half dozen pens before I made a pretty good mistake. I made a Sedona Rollerball pen this past weekend. In the assembly, I misunderstood the directions and I pressed the plated centerband body into the tube without the delrin center band coupler in place. Is there any way to save this pen? I understand that I can purchase a Baron Disassembly Kit, but I want to make sure that this kit will allow me to remove the centerband body before I invest any more time in this pen.Thanks in advance for your advise.Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a set of transfer punches. You can then dis-assemble just about any kit. BTW, I think just about everyone has done exactly what you did at one time or another.

great12b4ever

Welcome to the addiction!!! :handshake:
I agree with the others, go to Harbor freight and buy a set of transfer puncehs. This will allow you to disassemble almost every kit, plus you will find other uses for it in your shop. :biggrin:

PaulDoug

This be the ones. on sell fore $5.99 often

Attachments

• mini-punch.gif.jpg
    mini-punch.gif.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 118

Jim Smith

Thank you gentlemen for your prompt replies to my question. I just ordered set of the Transfer Punches from Harbor Freight.Jim Smith

nava1uni

Go to the Harbor Freight's website, there is usually a coupon on it for a discount on the transfer punches. I use them all the time on disassembling pens and other things.
It's a good thing we don't have to list all of our errors or I would only be able to post lists. Best thing is that I learn something from each one.
Welcome to a great addiction.

handplane

How can you ever learn if you do not make mistakes? Every time I screw up I go back and think why did I not take my time and do it right the first time.

BTW, welcome.

stevebuk

could i just ask please, if one buys this set of punches, how does one know which piece to use for which pen, and which pen part?
Has someone made a list of parts to be removed, and which punch was used in the operation?
many thanks..

fyrcaptn

punch set

Its an art that is learned by trial and error - at least for me.
Taking apart a pen requires finesse' NOT one of my strong points.
It can be done and when you can reassemble a pen with parts that you would have had to scrap, there is a certain satisfaction as well as knowing that most pen kits, reusing just one, paid for the set.
Its also good incentive not to make the dumb mistakes I was finding myself making - some over and over. I've gotten pretty good at cleaning and reusing tubes (sheesh). Now if I learn to cast, I can re-use blanks by casting the sawdust.
I've developed a short step by step guide that has helped me a lot lately.
Here it is -
Step one, read the instructions - no matter how many of that style you've made Confirm your parts all match-Make sure the instructions you have are for the pen kit, AND the tubes you got ready...(don't ask)
Step two, remember to read the instructions use the right bushings and NOT swap the blanks
Step three, read the instructions and get the right bushings in the right order
Step four, after reading the instructions, read them again and make sure you've follwed them
Step five read the instructions, use the calipers you bought, refer to the instructions and
turn a quality pen.

randyrls

could i just ask please, if one buys this set of punches, how does one know which piece to use for which pen, and which pen part?
Has someone made a list of parts to be removed, and which punch was used in the operation?
many thanks..

Steve; It helps if you have an un-assembled kit of the same pen. Usually the order of disassembly is
1. Use any punch that will fit to remove the cap or nib end fitting.

Some caps are two part; don't knock out the center part. You may want to center drill a small hole into the end of the punch

Use caution on click mechanisms not to damage the mechanism.

2. Use a punch that just fits inside the tube and knock out the center fittings. Some tubes are larger than 1/2"!! In this case, a small piece of steel rod can be used.

Top Bottom