Help removing bearings from Jet 1221 spindle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Well, I watched the Jet video about a dozen times and did quite well. However, I can't get the bearings off of the spindle (I removed the C-ring). I placed it in a vice with soft jaws and hit it with a rubber dead blow hammer, but it will not budge. I also applied some WD 40. No luck. Called Jet 3 x..they told me to keep trying.

Here's their video if it helps you help me (49 seconds in): http://www.jettools.com/us/en/community/videos/lathe-headstock-maintenance/

Thank you for reading and any advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silverado

Tony put a chunk of 2x4 over the shaft and give it a good crack with a real hammer. It will come off.:biggrin:

Tony,
I don't have a 1221 and don't think I've ever had to change bearings in my 1014, but I've rebuilt the headstock on my 1442 a number of times, changing the bearings, the reeves worm drive that operates the speed change, and about every other part in there... my 1442 has 3 bearings along the spindle, 1 at the hand wheel end, one in the middle that slides along the spindle in a banjo that's attached to the reeves work gear and the one at the work end of the spindle. That is a booger to get off the shift. First time I needed to change that one, I took the headstock to an "authorized" Jet repair center in Chattanooga, he ruined my spindle shaft and then wanted $450 to put it all back together... I picked it up and finished the work my self... still charged me $55 for taking it all apart....

The last time I changed all the bearings, to remove that bearing, I inserted a large screwdriver between the end of the shaft and the bearing and wiggled it, working my way around the shaft... it took me about 30 or 40 minutes to jiggle the bearing off. My bearing has to slide off the aft end of the shaft and butts up against the indexing wheel on the shaft, so I a place to apply leverage to jiggle the bearing loose. (I don't have any kind of vice so this was my best option.)

Last edited:

eharri446

You might want to go to Harbor Freight and see if you can get a bearing puller that will fit the bearing. Then it is just a matter of using a wrench to extend the rod and pull the bearing off.

TonyL

I saw that...I am not big on HF. Thx though.
I am going down and hit it some more. Thx

TonyL

Got it out! Looks to me like there was a little lock-tite on them..Maybe just some oxidation. Thanks for the help! On to the assembly.

TonyL

Thanks for all the advice guys. Replaced the belt and both bearings and it purrs like new. Something I would not have done without access to you folks. Thank you.

Top Bottom