Help/Info needed for a Case pocket knife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rmartin

Rmartin

A co-worker asked me if I could repair his pocket knife. He said this style of Case pocket knife was rare. Has anyone worked with pocket knives?

Attachments

• CaseKnife1.jpg
    CaseKnife1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 239
  • CaseKnife2.jpg
    CaseKnife2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
It all depends on the type of restoration desired.

Are the scales wood?

Repair the broken scale? Probably enough lost material to make this tough to do with no visible seam.

Replace the broken scale? I doubt you will ever get an exact color match.

Replace both scales? Easiest to match, but looses the original scales.

Do you have calipers to measure the pins exactly?

nativewooder

If it's rare and he wants to protect the value, his best bet is to call Case Knife Co. and find out if it can be repaired and how much it would cost. Usually Case knives are not all that valuable unless they are in an extensive collection.

Rmartin

It all depends on the type of restoration desired.

Are the scales wood?

Repair the broken scale? Probably enough lost material to make this tough to do with no visible seam.

Replace the broken scale? I doubt you will ever get an exact color match.

Replace both scales? Easiest to match, but looses the original scales.

Do you have calipers to measure the pins exactly?

I found an exact match on the web for $89.95. I don't believe he is interested in keeping it's value, only to have it repaired.

The scale is black walnut, I think. I was thinking of using one of my nice burl blanks to replace both sides.

I do have calipers to measure the pins. Do you know of a place to buy replacement pins?

paps

I have no experience with repairing slipjoint knives, but I've torn a few apart and made a few from scratch. I seems to me that in order to repair that broken handle scale, you will need to have the knife apart in order to peen the pins that hold the handle on. When you take the knife apart, you open a whole new can of worms. For example, the brass liners are likely to get bent when you take the knife apart. Now you have to replace them too. One other major problem you will have if you do not take the knife apart is getting the holes drilled in the replacement handle scales in exactly the right spot. Normally, the handle would be glued to the liner and the holes in the handle are drilled thru the holes already in the liner. Hope this helps. -Phil

Top Bottom