Anyone turn tap handles?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GrantH

GrantH

If so, do you mind sharing some tips on what to use for mounting, how you turn them, what goes over well??

Pics are always good!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InvisibleMan

I'm going to, and I did a bit of research awhile back. I want to clear cast my grain recipes into handles - I think that'd be pretty cool:cool:.

I believe if you look at some of the homebrewing suppliers (Midwest Supplies I think is one), they have the stuff you need.

yep - here it is:

Stainless Steel Dual-Threaded Insert for Wooden Tap Handles

As for what goes over well, that's a toughie. I think the market would be fairly limited, but who knows?

Last edited:

GrantH

These would probably do pretty well around here. Would make great gifts as well. Thanks for the link, I should have known to check Midwest.

Clear Casting your grain bill would be pretty cool if you could get it done cleanly. I thought of possibly getting someone to engrave or laster cut the name of the beer and brewery or something similar once they are turned, fill it with colored powder and CA finish them or similar.

melski

threaded insert

I have used a threaded insert that will accept a 3/8-16 bolt like on taps for a couple of handles made in the past. Available even at your local big box hardware store.

Attachments

• threaded insert.jpg
    threaded insert.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 337

KenV

I did a run of a dozen or so for a brewery last fall. They specified they wanted a steel shank reinforcing the tap handle. I used 3/8 by 16 stainless all thread about 8 inches long with the end of the all thread to fit standard ferrules.

Started with 3 by 3 by 14 inch blanks between centers, and turned a tenon for mounting in a chuck. Then mounted in the chuck and drilled for reinforcement rod. Used a ferrule and Nova Tailstock on the outboard end and chuck on the headstock end.

Engraving done by Ken Nelson

Top Bottom