Hello from West Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pennovice

Hello all, I am new here and fairly new to turning. I turned my first pen in July 2012 and have made a couple of dozen since. Some were keepers and some were not.
I also am learning (or trying to learn) to tun bowls and platters etc.
I am medically retired and love the feel of the shavings coming off when you know you have the angle and bevel correct and the cutter is sharp.
Then properly finishing and assembling a pen and gifting it someone you care for is priceless.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Welcome from just down 287 in Wichita Falls....well, 225 miles down. We look forward to seeing some of your work.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hello all, I am new here and fairly new to turning. I turned my first pen in July 2012 and have made a couple of dozen since. Some were keepers and some were not.
I also am learning (or trying to learn) to tun bowls and platters etc.
I am medically retired and love the feel of the shavings coming off when you know you have the angle and bevel correct and the cutter is sharp.
Then properly finishing and assembling a pen and gifting it someone you care for is priceless.

PeetyInMich

Welcome from Monroe Michigan, I know what you mean about the shavings, Its like the sound of a perfectly hit golf ball. I usually hook or shank the ball into the woods/sand/water, and shatter/chip or overturn my blanks, but sometimes the stars align and the turning gods smile on my lathe.

jeff_in_AZ

Welcome from Arizona! I've been to Amarillo, my wife has
a cousin who lives there. We've been turning pens here since
December and having a lot of fun with it. Post some pictures when
you have time. I've had several pens that didn't turn out the way
I wanted, but it seemed that each time I learned something new.
You're right, they make very nice gifts and fortunately most of my
friends and relatives are not as much of a perfectionist as I am. :)

jeff

plano_harry

Hey Dennis, welcome from Plano. I think Amarillo is just a little west of center.:tongue: There is still a lot of Texas past that! You may have to start a west Texas chapter. It is a long way to Dallas. You can pick up Don and Seamus on the way.

Harry

Top Bottom