Hello from Somerset, England

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello all,

I have just joined IAP and have already discovered a wealth of information. I love turning pens but am limited by availability of kits in the UK which are mostly slimline. I am hoping to expand my skills. Having recently retired I now have more time to spend on my hobby of turning pens and small boxes.
Cheers
Brian.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
hello and welcome Brian- there are loads of kits in the u.k... albeit not as many as in the U.S but still its getting better.
try:
turners retreat
the turners workshop
uk pen kits
pen crafts
to name a few

w5brw

Welcome from Texas

Good morning from Somerset Texas:biggrin:!

By chance are you a ham operator? A few years back I spoke to a Ham via echo link in your area and was wondering if it may have been you. If not... Welcome to the forums!

W5BRW

3Peake

Hello Brian,
Welcome to an addictive hobby.
George has listed a good selection of suppliers and there is also Timberbits and suppliers on here who are more than happy to send to the UK.

cornishdave

Hi Brian. A warm welcome to the forum, like your self I am recently retired and new to pen turning and have found the members very helpful and their pens fantastic. At the moment I buy my kits from Axminister tools or Turners Retreat but you can get better kits from a few small suppliers.. Regards Dave Cornwall .UK

Christian

Hey Brian

Try the uk ebay shop fun-e-turnz run by a great lady called Helen. Great choice of kits and excellent service.

Chris

ctubbs

Welcome Brian, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. You mention that you have read some of the site, be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

Thanks for the information George.I shall follow them up. The ones I had noted in the past tended to be US based and purchasing from them was not easy, customs, VAT, clearance. etc.
Thanks again
Cheers
Brian

Thanks Dave, yes I have bought from Axminster but mostly from E.Bay sites. I shall look up Turners Retreat. Say hello to Ciornwall, my daughter and family live in Newquay.
I live in Clevedon, North Somerset.
Cheers
Brian.

trapper

hi Brian

hello and welcome I'm originally from North somerset as now is but currently living in Wales let me know if I can help you with kits or ideas...... I'm not a vendor but have found numerous sources which dont seem to be too public to newcomers. anyhow hope you enjoy it as much as i do.Ican let you have contact details if you'd like
Steve

Top Bottom