Hello from MA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timberview4

Hi all:
I have been checking out a lot of great threads (new and old) and thought it was time to join in.

I am new to turning. I visited a Rockler store in NH with my Father-in-Law a few months back and saw a pen turning demo. The next day we went to another Rockler store in MA and I turned a pen for our troops. I was hooked. A few weeks later I took a pen turning class at a local Woodcraft store. I recently bought a lathe and some basics from PSI and have turned some slimlines and a couple key chains. I got some gift cards to Rockler for Christmas and am looking forward to get some other types of pen kits.

I do have a question. The PSI mandrel I have is for the 7mm slimlines, comfort grips, etc. If I get some kits that have larger diameter brass tubes, do I need a different mandrel shaft (larger OD shaft)?
I have been reading recent threads on turning between centers and will eventually give that a try.

Happy New Year!
Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rej19

Scott most of the pen kits require a type "A" mandrel. It is the most common and will fit most of the bushings. Some of the larger pen kits require a type "B" mandrel. When you get into the larger diameter kits you will want to check what's required. Welcome!

Welcome to the group! In reference to your question, your mandrel will work just fine for most of the kits. Berea has a very few kits that utilize a larger mandrel--they use an 'A' mandrel, which is what you have now, and a 'B' mandrel, for 3 or 4 larger pens. You'll be fine with your present mandrel for a long time--just be aware that there IS another size, and if you order a new kit style, check to see which mandrel is required. Good luck, have a ton of fun, and again, welcome!

Fred

Scott, Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have you join in the madness. :biggrin:

My response to your question, learn to turn between centers that way you can avoid the use of both sizes of mandrels. The method is easy to use and usually very accurate.

Turning between centers also will avoid the risk of over tightening which in turn will cause your mandrel to 'bend/bow' which yields an out of round cylinder. :rolleyes:

JimB

When you do the other style pens you will need to buy the appropriate size bushings. They will fit on the madrell you have. Or, as others have said, go mandel-less but you will still need the different size bushings.

timberview4

Thanks for the Welcomes.

I was thumbing through a pen making book I got as a gift and think I better understand how the various bushings work. Most have the 7mm ID that will fit the mandrel and the OD is stepped, one end that fits into the brass tube and the other end for the reference diameter to turn down to.

Top Bottom