Hello from League City, Tx.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MnkyNthMddl

Hello everyone. My name is Kelly. I've been looking over the site for a while now trying to get a handle on the vast amount of information. Now I figure it's time to jump on in.

I started turning on the lathe as much by accident as anything other reason. My wife works at a credit union and one of the board members found out I was a bit of a woodchuck. He had a ton of pen making equipment and supplies and was looking to give it away, so I gave it all a new home. I hate to see good tools turned out into the cold.

I've always had woodworking projects going on. However, my past projects have been much heavier in cost and much larger in scale. It's really nice to have my required shop space (my 2 car garage) be reduced to a fraction of the past. My wife's car may actually see the inside of the garage by next summer now.

I have found that my biggest frustration is that there seems to only be a small number of local businesses to acquire the hardware necessary. That leaves purchasing most of it online. What ever happened to being able to go into a store and browse for hours on end? Woodworking supply stores, cattle auctions, gun shows and auto parts. You can never have too many of those. Maybe I will open my own supply store. (Hmmm, problem solved? :rolleyes:)

Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi to you all from League City Texas.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Donovan

Welcome, you should be in my country we have one big supplier that I know of and they are also to far to visit. There is one supplier close but three times more expensive and they only have a few kits in stock. The postage on the imported kits is a killer

alamocdc

Welcome, Kelly! I actually buy very little from any local supplier. Our online vendors (there are numerous sources here) are very good to us and I support them exclusively for all of my kits and parts.

plano_harry

Kelly, welcome from Plano! Congrats on the free start. At $4 a gallon, it is cheaper to buy online than drive to a store and pay sales tax.:) We have some great vendors on here.

Harry

Pete275

Welcome Kelly from Houston, What Billy B. said is true about the online vendors associated with IAP. Although both stores here in town have a lot of nice people working for them. By the way in time you'll realize there are an awfully large amount of relly nice people here on IAP too. Maybe you already know that.

Wayne

Last edited:

Sataro

Welcome Kelly to IAP from Corsicana, TX. I'm lucky that I'm only about 60 miles to Dallas. I've got about 3 stores there that I hit up. Gas is costly as pointed out, but I make it a point to take the wife out to eat somewhere. So that keeps me out of the doghouse running to woodstores...

Joe Burns

Welcome from Temple Texas. I have the same issue about local stores as there are none except fro Lowes or Home Depot. You will find the vendors here great to work with.

Joe

Bigj51

Welcome from Lubbock, TX! You will find loads of good information as well as a lot of knowledgeable turners here.

MnkyNthMddl

Thanks for all the welcoming comments. I really appreciate it. I look forward to many hours of working on projects. Sometimes the lessons learned are just as exciting as viewing the final project results. It's the journey that counts.

Thanks again.

Kelly

Top Bottom