Hello! From Cary, North Carolina

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

Hey there everyone! My name is Randy Simmons and I'm a pen and bowl turner from Cary, North Carolina. I've been making pens for about a month and a half now, and bowls for a little over a year.

I recently managed to start my own business and work professionally, you can check it out with the link in my signature. Any constructive criticism is certainly appreciated!!

I work mainly with exotic woods, and have turned a few burls. I have never used acrylics.

P.S. Did I mention I'm only fifteen?? ;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Randy, welcome to the group from Wichita Falls, TX! I took a moment to visit your website and of course my job has to have all of the good stuff blocked, but i was able to see some of your work. I really like some of your bowls! One suggestion though, you said "work mainly with exotic woods", dont limit yourself to just that. Remember, customers love options! You will learn tons of info from this site if you spend time on it and will drastically improve your turning abilities the more you turn. I cant wait to see how your work has improved in a year or so! Have fun!

Randy Simmons

Seamus,

Regarding your comment on my wood selection, I had actually given the topic some thought myself. I was at a week long summer camp out in the middle of the woods recently and came across a massive red maple burl (seriously, about the size of my torso) SO, being the boy scout that I am, I took an axe and bow saw to the tree and brought it home. I estimate it will give me about 400-500 pen blanks. That ought to balance it out don't you think?

seamus7227

Seamus,Regarding your comment on my wood selection, I had actually given the topic some thought myself. I was at a week long summer camp out in the middle of the woods recently and came across a massive red maple burl (seriously, about the size of my torso) SO, being the boy scout that I am, I took an axe and bow saw to the tree and brought it home. I estimate it will give me about 400-500 pen blanks. That ought to balance it out don't you think?

yeah maybe:biggrin: or you could always offer some up for sale in the classified section of this site

Sylvanite

Hi Randy. Welcome to the IAP. If you're interested, there's a local chapter meeting this Thursday (7/19) at 6:30pm at the Woodcraft store on Pleasant Green Rd. in Raleigh. It's nice to put faces to the names of other penturners - of all ages.

Regards,
Eric

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome...Cary,NC is just a bit down the road....so I wanted to look at your website...

my security blocks your entire site and gives the reason as being listed as 'malware' site...maybe just me but always makes me nervous when i get that ;(

Randy Simmons

Hi all,

I apologize for the pageload problems.

I figured out what the red "X" was and I believe that problem has been resolved

Not sure exactly what the malware was all about penhead, I think it may have had something to do with the way my checkout system was set up that confused McAfee, or it may have just been standard windows security silliness.

Hope that helps, if there are any more problems shoot me a PM and I will work it out

Thanks,
Randy

Top Bottom