Hello from Grand Junction Colorado

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Hi!

I am Steve Johnson and have lived in Grand Junction Colorado for the past 17 years where I pastor a church. I picked up pen turning from my father while I still lived in Wisconsin. In the past I have turned quite a few pens, probably 250 slim line kits and maybe 50 other assorted kits. I've turned exotics, corian and some plastics. But compared to what I have seen here, my pens are BORING! Over the past few years I haven't turned much.

Lately my kids (I have six, ranging in age from 30 to 11) have asked me to turn them more pens (and to turn some for their spouses and children). That is what prompted me to return to the craft.

I am hoping that I can entice my 11 year old to start turning as well.

I use a Shopsmith Mark V which I inherited from my father. My shop is my garage, which often is overrun with "stuff" unrelated to woodworking. I have never finished any pen with CA, but hope to start with my next one.

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Welcome Steve. Turning for friends & family can be fun. Especially if they help. Doing a CA finish is find of like learning algebra. It's frustrating at 1st, but when you get it, it seems so simple. At least till you try & CA some ebony or cocobolo.:rolleyes:

SteveJ

Thanks all! So where do I ask questions which might sound really stupid to you who make such great looking pens? I've turned a bunch of pens, but don't feel many of them have been "good." I don't consider myself to be much of a woodworker, everything I've learned I have taught myself - and as far as woodworking - I am not a very good teacher! Your incredible pens both challenge me and humble me. I hope to one day consistently turn out pens that people want for reasons other than that they are my friends...

BSea

Thanks all! So where do I ask questions which might sound really stupid to you who make such great looking pens? I've turned a bunch of pens, but don't feel many of them have been "good." I don't consider myself to be much of a woodworker, everything I've learned I have taught myself - and as far as woodworking - I am not a very good teacher! Your incredible pens both challenge me and humble me. I hope to one day consistently turn out pens that people want for reasons other than that they are my friends...
The best place to start is the Library. I went through almost every article before I even bought my lathe. There is so much information there. But also look in the penturning forum, and the finishing forum. And of course, you can ask questions in any forum, just try & keep it related to the forum. Nearly everybody here is more than willing to help. Just have fun.

Top Bottom