Heat proof finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mwildes

mwildes

I have a request to turn a set of tea cups. I realize that most all finishes are food safe after they have at least a 30-day period to polymerize. But, are all finishes heat proof? Will a cup of boiling tea weaken these finishes? I'll need a finish that will seal the close grained (such as cherry) wood, as well as one that will stand up to the heat. I sure don't want to see any Danish Oil or Polyurethane floating in a cup of tea! Any ideas or information is most appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I won't touch this one. Too many chances for lawsuits there. Why anyone would want wooded cups is strange. Too many variables. Good luck and take any suggestions you get with utmost care.

I use the glass oil light inserts and a deft or minwax finish.I would stay away from the oil finishes.If you use the tea cups you need to get the glass inserts for them.

jttheclockman

I use the glass oil light inserts and a deft or minwax finish.I would stay away from the oil finishes.If you use the tea cups you need to get the glass inserts for them.

I think he is talking about drinking tea cups and not the tealights for candles. Maybe I am wrong.

knifecut

http://www.waterlox.com/project-help/faqShow.aspx?type=Performance&faqid=55

Waterlox Original Tung oil finishes are water resistant, stand up to household spills and are non-toxic1 and food-safe when dry. Waterlox Original Tung oil finishes have good heat resistance, can be used around stoves and are unaffected by boiling water and liquids.2

Please review our countertop finishing guide for more information.

1Tung oil is non-toxic and food-safe, although, Tung oil is pressed from the nut of the Tung tree which would be considered a tree nut oil. If you or someone who will be living with the finish has a tree nut allergy, consider whether or not this is a factor in finishing your wood project.

2 Waterlox has good heat resistance; however, avoid placing hot pots or pans directly onto the finish. Always use a potholder, trivet or some other type of insulating material under hot utensils and pots and pans.

I'd suggest a 90-day cure to be on the safe side.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I'm less worried about the finish than I am the wood. Temperature changes cause wood to move and crack. Going from room temperature to 190-degrees in 5 seconds is pretty drastic temperature changes. If the wood cracks the person holding the cup will be wearing 190-degree tea water.

I personally would not do this one.

mwildes

Thank you for all for your time to respond. I think it will be the safest to try and find some glass tea cup or coffee cup inserts. Maybe even some clear glass cups that I can then remove the handle from. Then I could turn the exterior and glue in the insert. You've given me a lot of information that I hadn't thought about. Happy Thanksgiving!

mwildes

Thank you for the link, Wildman. But these tea cups would need to hold only about 1/2 cup of liquid. It would be great if there was a source of glass inserts, with a lip, in the small size, but in a kit such as you provided.

Sean, there are numerous sites, videos and books that describe methods of applying food safe finishes. I found vast information mostly in my work making bowls and toys. But the information only describes pieces such as salad bowls, serving platters, dinner plates, etc. None of the sources provided information for pieces used for hot or boiling liquids.

Mike, that's great information that you provided from Waterlox. I'll email them to verify some more questions that I have and maybe it's worth some trial pieces with this product.

Thank you again everyone for your time to provide feedback.

Top Bottom