Health & Safety In the Shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
I'm not sure if this topic belongs here, the Casual Conversation forum, or maybe a new Health and Safety forum is warranted. But I'll not worry about where is belongs now (moderators, move it to wherever you see fit).

My Topic ...

For the third time this summer I'm fight off a mild 'head cold' (stuffy nose, sneezing, etc.) It finally hit me, these have not been colds at all, but allergic reactions to mahogany saw dust (or maybe poplar, but whatever).

So ... how to address this problem?

Do I start with the little nose/mouth masks? How effective are they?

Is the longer term solution 'head gear' (hard plastic, ventilated mask)? Which one? How good are they?

Or should I be think about investing in a shop air filtration system? Which one?

Or perhaps, a dust collection system should come first? (Are there dust collection / filtration combo units out there?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chief Hill

I use a cheap DC floor model from harbour freight and vent it directly outside my shop via a dryer vent exaust.
No more worrys about emptying bags. Or how many microns the filters are. It all goes right outside. It's great, no more CA Fumes, fine dust, chips etc. If it's feesible for you to vent right outside instead of buying a air filter system or amazing DC. I would buy a cheap floor caster DC system an mount it to the wall. Then vent it any place you like. You could even run it through a cheap garbage pail style chip seperator before venting out elsewhere.

JimB

Anything is better than nothing. When I started I used the disposable paper style masks. Almost useless especially when sanding and finishing. I then started using my shop vac when sanding and finishing with CA. I cut the bottom off a 1 gallon milk jug and jammed it on the end to make a wider collection area. Worked fairly well for pen turning, sanding and CA finishing. However, it isn't nearly enough when doing bowls. I now have a 1HP DC with 1 Micron bag. It made a big difference and my shop doesn't have a coat of sanding dust on everything. I should have bought it a long time ago.

Daniel

A dust collector is a must. otherwise you are still breathing the dust laden air every time you take your mask off. still a mask is a good idea while turning.
Wear a turning smock so that you leave the lions share of the dust in the shop. (leave the smock in the shop)
venting directly to the outdoors is a good idea, if you can. check to make sure it is not illegal where you are.
Mainly remember it is the fine dust you are having trouble with.
Air cleaners help in getting that fine stuff but take hours to work. they should be left running for a couple of hours after you leave the shop but do very little to help you while you are in it.
A good dust collector at the source of the dust is the best way to eliminate it.

TowMater

I have developed quite the allergy do Honduras Rosewood. My uvula swells up like a golfball (wife says it's completely gross) and the last time it felt like my windpipe was trying to swell shut as well.

So being a Marine, and never wanting to back down I decided I'd go for some filtration and utilize my dust collector at my lathe. I purchased the 3M respirator that Lowes sells (vapor barrier or some such) and between the two of them I can turn HR all day long if I like. I have a Trend Airshield on the Christmas list as well.

I didn't need to spend the big bucks to solve my problem, but I do think I'll enjoy turning more with something like the Trend.

1nfinity

I use a Jet dust collector with a 1 um bag. For the most part, this captures a majority of the shavings and saw dust I create while turning.
In addition, I also purchased a 3M full-face shield with respirators attached. My source for the full-face shield/respirator is the following website: http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/category/3m-6000-series-full-facepiece-respirator.html
Their prices beat any of the paint supply stores in my area. I went with kit Item# 3MM6893-M (full-face asbestos abatement respirator). In addition, I also purchased a pack of their disposable lens covers to protect the face shield lens and some of the other filters they offer (for other applications -- e.g. painting). Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the kit -- for $99, it's probably one of my better investments with regards to respiratory safety in the shop.

I use a 'shop fox' dust collector hooked directly to my table saw, compound miter saw, jointer, and belt sander. I also have a 700 CFM air filter mounted to my ceiling and run my A/C and dehumidifier pretty much constantly for additional filtration.

I wear a dual cartridge, half mask respirator for most operations.

Top Bottom