Hartville Hardware tool sale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Magicbob

The annual big tool sale is this coming weekend.
If you have never been to it, it is worth the drive.
Just a few things you will see.
1. The world's largest hardware store
2. The Buckeye wood-turners will be demoing both days
3. Ernie Conover will lecture both days (not about turning, but there is always time to talk)
4. I will be demoing pen turning and showing new tools from T. Shadow & Co.
5. Mark James will be with me raising both the eye candy count and the conversation level in my booth.

Stop by and say hi.

http://www.hartvillehardware.com/downloads/Events/2016FallToolSaleFlyer.pdf

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

That is where I got my Resp-O-Rator. It works great for me. I can't stand anything over my nose and mouth...I feel like I can't breathe...even have problems with those hospital masks.

leehljp

Member Liaison
On the second page, I noticed that the Festool PRO 5 sander was listed as $99.00! One company offered that a few weeks ago and after about 4 or 5 days had to close it off because they got too many orders. I ordered one and because of the great demand for a $99 Festool sander, it will not be shipped until March, 2017.

Anyway, if you want an entry into Festool, the $99.00 sander on the second page bottom right is the way to go. But beware, it may be delayed in its shipping - if you order online.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
On the second page, I noticed that the Festool PRO 5 sander was listed as $99.00! One company offered that a few weeks ago and after about 4 or 5 days had to close it off because they got too many orders. I ordered one and because of the great demand for a $99 Festool sander, it will not be shipped until March, 2017.

Anyway, if you want an entry into Festool, the $99.00 sander on the second page bottom right is the way to go. But beware, it may be delayed in its shipping - if you order online.

Hi Hank.

Don't know if you got free shipping, or can cancel; but if it is there, I can buy it (on your behalf :)), and ship it next week!

Hi Hank,
Not to be smart mouthed or insulting and this question will show my penny pinching cheapness, but what does a $99 Festool sander do that a lesser priced other brand name doesn't do??

As I said I don't mean to be smart-mouthed, but I have a couple of little hand sanders, don't know the names on them, but have had for years and they do a very adequate job of smoothing a wood surface. For sanding on the lathe, I use a $39 Neiko angle drill from Amazon and as long as I keep the dust blown out of it, it works great for sanding bowls and such on the lathe.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, I'm going to try stopping by on Friday. Do you know where in the store you booth will be? What time are your demos?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Bob, I'm going to try stopping by on Friday. Do you know where in the store you booth will be? What time are your demos?

I spoke to Bob earlier today. Top floor, enter from the main entrance, he will be set up on the left side. Walk past the checkout counters towards the "tool/machinery" area.

Bob and I will be there at opening at 8 AM, and I suspect have the lathe running pretty regularly throughout the day. We both are bringing stuff to turn "Pens for Service Members."

I also will have cards with the IAP web address for those interested in joining :).

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hi Hank,
Not to be smart mouthed or insulting and this question will show my penny pinching cheapness, but what does a $99 Festool sander do that a lesser priced other brand name doesn't do??

As I said I don't mean to be smart-mouthed, but I have a couple of little hand sanders, don't know the names on them, but have had for years and they do a very adequate job of smoothing a wood surface. For sanding on the lathe, I use a $39 Neiko angle drill from Amazon and as long as I keep the dust blown out of it, it works great for sanding bowls and such on the lathe.

Chuck,
I don't take it the wrong way. :) Some people do wish to give festool a try but are greatly, no - immensely put off by the prices. This is considered an "entry" tool into Festool by some, just to give people a chance to try them.

I have tools from HF to Festool. I also bought the Nieko angle drill back in '08 to use as a sander and angle drill when I was in Japan. I ordered it here in the States, took it back with me in luggage before I tried it out, and then regretted it. It was not assembled correctly and it seemed to be missing a part. I managed disassemble it, figure out what the problem was and made a spacer bushing to make it work. For me, I would rather buy the go-to tool if I could afford it - than get caught in those situations. Couldn't send the Neiko back from Japan without the postage costing more than the drill.

If I need a tool that I don't have, I have to drive 75 miles round trip or order from Amazon or other. I hate getting home and finding that I should have gotten a better quality brand.

That said, there are brands that are quality and much cheaper than Festool overall. Still $99 is not bad for that quality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom