Different Vector Art

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ttpenman

G-code is output to a CNC machine from a CAD program. You may be able to export from Corel to a DXF or DWG (I'm not a CAD person) that the CAD person could work on and then create G-Code.

Not sure about the process, this is just FYI.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

robutacion

I use CorelDraw X6. Not sure what you mean by g-code.

Well, G-code is the language any CNC machine requires to read the design and then perform its shapes/forms.

It starts with a design made in Vector form and then converted into G-code, this converting is an available tool in some of the specific programs made to deal with CNC's, 3D printers, etc..!

This is the best I can explain it, sorry.

Cheers
George

liljohn1368

Well, G-code is the language any CNC machine requires to read the design and then perform its shapes/forms.

It starts with a design made in Vector form and then converted into G-code, this converting is an available tool in some of the specific programs made to deal with CNC's, 3D printers, etc..!

Cheers
George

I'm going to check on this George. The reason being. One to help out anybody who has a CNC. And the other I may end up with a CNC one day.

Give me a few days and I'll see what all I can come with on the subject.

robutacion

Cheers
George

I'm going to check on this George. The reason being. One to help out anybody who has a CNC. And the other I may end up with a CNC one day.

Thank you,

And yes I have a CNC 60x40 4 axis 1500W spindle, I haven't touched in many months, the designs I purchased from Vector Art have been all carved in wood multiple times, I have a few ideas that require to be designed and then transferred into G-code and that I don't have (software) and lacking lots and lots of knowledge about CNC machines, I'm just a very beginner.

Cheers
George

liljohn1368

Cheers
George

Thank you,

And yes I have a CNC 60x40 4 axis 1500W spindle, I haven't touched in many months, the designs I purchased from Vector Art have been all carved in wood multiple times, I have a few ideas that require to be designed and then transferred into G-code and that I don't have (software) and lacking lots and lots of knowledge about CNC machines, I'm just a very beginner.

Cheers
George

What software do you have to run your CNC? From what I can understand the artwork has to be put into a format that your software can read. Then it turns the file into G-Code. I can do several different types of file formats we will just have to find the one that is compatible with your software. If you have anything in mind that you want to engrave into to something let me know and I'll do it up and the start eliminating files that does not work. Let me know if you want to try.

Thanks,

Terredax

Banned
Your logo has a few stray nodes.

A post processor outputs to specific control software to generate the code for the tool paths.
I believe Mach3 will recognize ai., dxf, and stl files without the post processor to generate the code.

Last edited:

liljohn1368

Your logo has a few stray nodes.

A post processor outputs to specific control software to generate the code for the tool paths.
I believe Mach3 will recognize ai., dxf, and stl files without the post processor to generate the code.

I was figuring .dfx would work. I was going to start with it and move to another if it wasn't recognized.

I've cleaned the nodes up on my logo. This was the first copy that I changed to .jpg

robutacion

Cheers
George

Thank you,

Cheers
George

What software do you have to run your CNC? From what I can understand the artwork has to be put into a format that your software can read. Then it turns the file into G-Code. I can do several different types of file formats we will just have to find the one that is compatible with your software. If you have anything in mind that you want to engrave into to something let me know and I'll do it up and the start eliminating files that does not work. Let me know if you want to try.

Thanks,

I have/use Mach3

Cheers
George

ohiococonut

George,

I use Mach3 as well.
What software do you import your Vector Art into?
You need one to be able to set the size of your material, position and size the image and set your x, y & z coordinates.
Then you select your vectors and tooling to generate your tool path files. These tool paths are then saved using a particular post processor specific for your machine. These post processor files are then imported or loaded into Mach3 which interprets them into g-code which controls the machines movement.

gimpy

Hi liljohn, want can you do for this logo:

Attachments

• gimpylogo_whitebg #2_editede-mail-1.jpg
    gimpylogo_whitebg #2_editede-mail-1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 159

Terredax

Banned
Hi liljohn, want can you do for this logo:

If the image was larger, more detail could be utilized.
Small jpeg images make it difficult to scale and create vector.
This is what I could get after three or four minutes, but it could be better.
It is a vector file now and could be used for engraving, vinyl, etching, embroidery, print, etc. and can be scaled to any size without loss of resolution.

cozee

.dfx will work for conversion to AUTOCAD. I use it all the time for a friend of mine when we are trading work. I am using VinylMaster Pro.

Last edited:

robutacion

George,

I use Mach3 as well.
You need one to be able to set the size of your material, position and size the image and set your x, y & z coordinates.
Then you select your vectors and tooling to generate your tool path files. These tool paths are then saved using a particular post processor specific for your machine. These post processor files are then imported or loaded into Mach3 which interprets them into g-code which controls the machines movement.

Yes, I know that as I already done a few carvings in wood but they were all files/designs purchased from Vector Art, and they also offer a couple of software programs to read each file type and allow you change the design dimentions and then create all the tool passes, etc.

What I was asking about is a software that will allow you to draw/create your own designs and then be processed with the Mach3. The Vector Art offers a few software programs to do that but they are simply too expensive for someone like me so, I'm looking for cheaper options.

Cheers
George

ohiococonut

George your original question was...

"Do you have the software to manipulate and or create images that can then be converted into g-code?"

Didn't know you were looking for software yourself. I should have just said yes but I assumed you were looking for help with a model/image.

I run the latest version of Aspire. I still consider myself a newbie at it but it allows me to manipulate virtually any image I can import as well as create my own. I have two cnc machines. A 24"x24" that I bought a few years ago that now sits idle, and a 50"x50" that I built. I can carve longer images if I tile them.
Sounds like you've got a decent size machine yourself.

I don't know of any other cheaper software, I never looked into it. Vectric does offer a free software called Vector Art 3D Machinist but it only allows you to open their files in V3M file format.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Here's something I created for one of my granddaughters.

Attachments

• 0429131754.jpg
    0429131754.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 157

Terredax

Banned
Yes, I know that as I already done a few carvings in wood but they were all files/designs purchased from Vector Art, and they also offer a couple of software programs to read each file type and allow you change the design dimentions and then create all the tool passes, etc.

What I was asking about is a software that will allow you to draw/create your own designs and then be processed with the Mach3. The Vector Art offers a few software programs to do that but they are simply too expensive for someone like me so, I'm looking for cheaper options.

Cheers
George

There are several programs that can be used, but if Vectric products are considered too expensive, then the others will put you into a coma.
Vectric has some great software for the price and what it's capable of doing.

liljohn1368

I have all kinds of things already vectorized. All I will have to do is change the file format to .dfx and it should be compatible. From what I understand anyway. And I'm a lots cheaper than those guys. Maybe do some CNC routing for me.

cozee

George,

I use Mach3 as well.

Cheers
George

Try contacting Vinyl Pro. Don't let the name fool you, their programs have 3D modeling and vector effects and the tracing function is awesome. They are headquartered in Melbourne. If you are on a budget, they also offer monthly payments. Contact Us : VinylMaster Pro Vinyl Sign Cutter Software for Plotters and Engravers

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
Try contacting Vinyl Pro. Don't let the name fool you, their programs have 3D modeling and vector effects and the tracing function is awesome. They are headquartered in Melbourne. If you are on a budget, they also offer monthly payments. Contact Us : VinylMaster Pro Vinyl Sign Cutter Software for Plotters and Engravers

From reading their website, it's directed toward printing and vinyl cutting. The 3-D function is a print effect and not intended for cnc. 3-d uses height mapping to operate the z axis. A 2-D program can't do height mapping and the price reflects that. That program might be able to be used for limited engraving and maybe some cutting. I didn't go through all of the details, but it would still require a post processor.
This program is closer to PS than it is to cad/cam. In the same price range, Corel is a good program, but still requires the post processor.

robutacion

Cheers
George

There are several programs that can be used, but if Vectric products are considered too expensive, then the others will put you into a coma.
Vectric has some great software for the price and what it's capable of doing.

Don't you think that I already know that? Was no point in mentioning ant of those, they are totally out of question for me even the Aspire price is something that I cannot justify for the use I'm making of my CNC, I may regain my interest later on but for now, I'm limited to what I can do and I've made plenty of that that doesn't seem to have any interest from people so, I'm giving it a break for now.

The very reason I got this machine was to created some wood designs that would be filled with resin for the sole purpose of the e-cig/vapor market world but that, has also fall on its face after a flooded market with cheaper products so, I may keep it I may sell it, not sure yet...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

George your original question was...

"Do you have the software to manipulate and or create images that can then be converted into g-code?"

Didn't know you were looking for software yourself. I should have just said yes but I assumed you were looking for help with a model/image.

I run the latest version of Aspire. I still consider myself a newbie at it but it allows me to manipulate virtually any image I can import as well as create my own. I have two cnc machines. A 24"x24" that I bought a few years ago that now sits idle, and a 50"x50" that I built. I can carve longer images if I tile them.
Sounds like you've got a decent size machine yourself.

I don't know of any other cheaper software, I never looked into it. Vectric does offer a free software called Vector Art 3D Machinist but it only allows you to open their files in V3M file format.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Here's something I created for one of my granddaughters.

Yes, you are correct, I was looking for the software to play with and maybe regain the interest of using my CNC. I have a few ideas that I'm yet to test if doable or not, playing with it would be the most fun part but, and as I mentioned before, the cost of something like Aspire is something that I can not justify at this moment, will that change?, maybe yes maybe not, will see.

PS: My CNC is only 60cm x 40cm table

Cheers
George

Last edited:

ohiococonut

George,

I see something was lost in translation again. Over here our standard is inches, not metric. You still have a decent size table to create a lot of things. You just have to think outside of the box and use your imagination because that's your only limitation. Only you can decide if the software is worth investing in.

Since this only a hobby I enjoy creating a lot of things for family members and myself just to prove I can do it. If someone decides they want something I set my price and that's it, there's no dickering about it. I don't want this to become a job with expectations and deadlines. I do this on my time. I will not give up the self satisfaction for money, my shop is my happy place :)

Coat racks are a lot of fun. These were some of my first creations and that's my old machine in the back.

Attachments

• 1001021559.jpg
    1001021559.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 1207122236.jpg
    1207122236.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 154
Top Bottom