Hang on to your chuck!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I'm not sure if whacking the 'Like' button is the right thing to do here...it would be better to have an 'I agree...be careful' button!

Working 40 hours a week with chainsaws and heavy tree moving equipment, I do agree there is much to be said about reminding oneself about the dangers involved. I actually wear more safety equipment while I'm at home working with equipment then at work(only because I have it here and the County I work for doesn't provide it/replace it).

I take my lathe for granted, and this post will make me re-think my approach to what I'm doing with it.....so for that, I thank you for the reminder!

Scott (sometimes you just can't run fast enough) B

Old Codger

Thanks Jeff! I'd never heard of nor seen a drill chuck with a screw fitting nor a #2 Morse Taper with a threaded fitting to match the drill chuck until I started doing some research since I read your thread and have had a similar incident... Thank Heaven, mine was not as serious as yours... You can believe, I will have a set on order as soon as Christmas is over!!! Thanks for your posting otherwise, I would never have thought about doing research for another type of safety tool!!! That's why fellow wood turners are a different breed...they help and share with one another! Thanks again, Merry Christmas to you and yours and safe turning always!!!

vtgaryw

Several reviews on the PSI said that even if you secure the MT shaft with the draw bolt, the chuck can still come off the shaft?

I have a similar chuck from HF (# 1 MT version), but the chuck is solidly attached to the shaft, there's no way this can happen. Perhaps the PSI is different?

Gary

tbroye

There are 2 dent in the side of my Wife's Expedition, I put both of the there. one because of a kickback on my table saw and the other the chuck coming out of the tail shaft on my lathe. Usually I when I work in garage I move the Expedition out, I was in a hurry to rip a piece of Alder and bang dent in car. The lathe is usually in my shop but time it was in the garage for some reason, got in a hurry to drill a whole deep into a spindle for neighbor and was clearing the shavings and as I pulled out like Jeff the bit hung in the wood and there went the bit and chuck. Luckily the tapered end hit the Vehicle so small dent. They are both still there. My I got lucky and didn't get hit by either.

tim self

Glad nothing "serious" happened and you're ok. I've considered drilling my tailstock and putting a set screw into the taper to hold the chuck in.

flyitfast

Nothing is perfect, but I suspect that the draw bolt will slow the chuck down from coming loose and out. I wouldn't totally depend on the draw bolt, but it is a good idea. I use a draw bolt on my bottlestopper chuck and it seems to work well - do I trust it....no, but I'm glad it is there.
gordon

Several reviews on the PSI said that even if you secure the MT shaft with the draw bolt, the chuck can still come off the shaft?

I have a similar chuck from HF (# 1 MT version), but the chuck is solidly attached to the shaft, there's no way this can happen. Perhaps the PSI is different?

Gary

Mguyre

Thank you for sharing! I wouldn't have thought that just pulling back the tail stock was that dangerous. Now I know!

Jeff I pray you will have a quick recovery. all of us have close calls we chalk them up to experience, when everything lines up an acidic ident happens.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
The stub of the nail where it was surgically removed finally grew off the end of my nail last month. However, there is a ripple along the nail due to permanent damage of the nail bed. A constant reminder!

Top Bottom