Half mask respirators

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

I need a good half mask respirator for applying CA finish. I have a big bulky one with the can cartridges but have seen ads for half mask. Not sure what filter I would need.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

Don't forget some sort of dust collection or fan to blow the fumes away. If I don't have my dust collector going when doing a CA finish I find the CA fumes will start to bother my eyes. The dust collector does a great job of preventing this.

FYI I use a 3M dual filter respirator that was about $25-30....

MTViper

Alan had a good point that hasn't been discussed yet - a high power fan. I have one of these: Lasko Pro-Performance High Velocity Pivoting Blower Fan-4905 - The Home Depot and it's great. I have it 10 feet away on a high shelf, pointed down so the main stream of air comes over my right shoulder when I'm turning, sanding or finishing. Big chips fall down, but most smaller chips, sanding dust, and fumes are gone before they reach the breathing zone. i do have to vacuum off the garage door that's by the back of my lathe fairly often.

I had an instructor in a hazardous waste class that worked the Exxon Valdez cleanup. His fix was: "The solution to pollution is dilution." If you remove the hazard (dust, fumes, etc) from the breathing zone, you've removed the hazard. I don't even smell CA fumes when I put a finish on.

Steve

linkbelt66

Alan had a good point that hasn't been discussed yet - a high power fan. I have one of these: Lasko Pro-Performance High Velocity Pivoting Blower Fan-4905 - The Home Depot and it's great. I have it 10 feet away on a high shelf, pointed down so the main stream of air comes over my right shoulder when I'm turning, sanding or finishing. Big chips fall down, but most smaller chips, sanding dust, and fumes are gone before they reach the breathing zone. i do have to vacuum off the garage door that's by the back of my lathe fairly often.

I had an instructor in a hazardous waste class that worked the Exxon Valdez cleanup. His fix was: "The solution to pollution is dilution." If you remove the hazard (dust, fumes, etc) from the breathing zone, you've removed the hazard. I don't even smell CA fumes when I put a finish on.

Steve

I like this idea, just ordered one from Home Depot.

RDH79

Yea I use a fan in the summertime but in the winter the fan creates a little windchill factor.. I just don't put it as close to me. Just so there is a small bit of circulation.
My dust collect gets all of the fumes while applying ca, it's when I cut off the end of the foam applicator. I don't use paper towel.
Thanks

Top Bottom