half a beautiful slimline?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RockandCole

I had a beautiful rosewood sapwood slimline pen on the lathe yesterday, but, after sanding and finishing and polishing, one half simply didn't turn out, it didn't have sapwood showing, the grains were loose, there was a tool mark in the seam and it simply wasn't up to my standards, even as a new turner. However, the other "half" is a gorgeous half sapwood, tight grained beauty with a slight bulge in the middle, I don't want to toss it, but realize my chances of finding a matching grain piece of sapwood are a long shot, are there any options for the gorgeous half slimline?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

several ...

Turn a new upper barrel out of a plain pale piece of wood and apply a decal to it ...

Turn a new upper barrel out of a contrasting color piece of wood ...

Turn a new upper barrel out of a similar looking piece of wood ... (not necessarily rosewood or sapwood)

Turn a new upper barrel out of any pale material and apply a decal to color it in a manner that emulates the lower barrel, coat with CA to seal the decal and protect it, and finish as a plastic coated barrel ...

Give up on the pen and turn the lower barrel into a gorgeous light pull ...

Give up on the pen and keep the lower barrel to showcase the natural beauty of that particular species of wood to potential customers, giving them an idea of what the finished piece may look like ...

These are not your only options, there are dozens more not listed here ... the point is, the sky's the limit, and it's your pen barrel ... do what YOU want with it! :)

Skie_M

Actually, there's a lot of available room to play with concerning those Teacher's Pens ...

They are made in 3 parts, and you can vary the lengths of the outer and center, if you have the spare tubes laying about for it ... just need to make sure that when all is done, you have enough room for the two mini cross refills to go into the middle back to back and not touch.

Top Bottom