grinder question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

So I got an email last night that harbor freight has their wet/dry grinder on sale for half price. It is this model:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95236

Would this work? I have a super old high speed grinder that I'm not even sure would work if I put a chisel up against it. Will this work for starting out grinding lathe chisels?

I know that people bash on HF, but I'm looking for specifics from people who have this. I don't want to hear from people who have read about it because I can read the same stuff, or people who heard from a friend of a friend of a friend of a second cousin twice removed. I am only interested in hearing from those that have direct experience with this unit.

I would also appreciate if it didn't turn into a bashing contest again between those that have it and those that can afford a Tormek. The fact of the matter is that I can't afford a Tormek, and probably would never pay that much for one anyway unless my livelyhood depended on a sharp chisel.

Thanks,

Justin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

The 1/4 hp rating is subject to question. Underpowered will just not work at all. And, find out the grit of the wheel. What may be OK for putting an edge back onto chisels might not sharpen turning tools. For that money, you could scavenge an old grinder, or any motor, and put a good 80 grit blue wheel on it and freehand sharpen until the time comes you can buy a Wolverine or clone unit.
BTW, I freehand sharpened for years and thought I was doing fine. Recently, I purchased a Wolverine set-up, very inexpensively, from a friend and my eyes were opened. World of difference and easy to use once you are set up. I highly recommend.

Woodlvr

I bought this unit from Harbor Freight and it was listed at $99.99 but it rang up at $69.95. So I purchased one very quickly, the nice thing is that the customer has 30 days to try it out. The blue stone has a blue 220 sticker on it, I saw that much but have not had a chance to go further. We are expecting freezing temps and snow very shortly so I need to save my tomatoes and put away a few items before they get wet. As soon as I get it set up, tonite I am hoping, I will post my results. I was looking at the new T-3 Tormek but if this will do the few tools that I use then it would be great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom