Greetings from Iowa!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey everyone!
My name is Jon and I farm in Iowa and have just recently purchased my first used lathe. I stumbled upon this great site and really am looking to learn from all of you fellow turners how to excel and produce awesome pens as all of you! As of now I don't have all of the mandrels and tools, and quite frankly am not sure exactly what I all I need but I hope some of you can maybe help me out!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

Greetings from Spokane, WA. If you have a Woodcraft store nearby, by all means go there and talk to the staff there. They can give you good advice and put you in touch with local pen turning groups. And don't be afraid to ask lots of questions before spending your money! One thing that is in great supply here is opinions. Also, members have different ways of doing things, and its good to learn from all of them. There are so many things you "need" to purchase, and the best way to learn what is really essential is to get opinions from the group here. Good luck to you.

ironman123

Greetings from Iowa

A hearty welcome from Central Texas.

As stated before, the library is a good start and asking questions here will certainly be of great benefit.

Ray

dankc908

Jon -

Welcome from another Iowan! Somebody (OOPS from Spokane, WA) mentioned Woodcraft. Not aware of where, in IA, you are located, I would like to let you know that there is a Woodsmith on Hickman Rd. in Des Moines and, in Omaha, there is Midwest Woodworkers just off 144th and Center. Both are great places to trade your hard earned cash for some great tools and wood. I'm in Council Bluffs.

Happy Turning!
Dan

Thank you for all the welcomes! Once I figure out which size mandrels to order for my lathe, I hope to one day be able post some pictures of work half as amazing as all I have seen so far on here!

I live in western Iowa along the Missouri River near the town of Blencoe. As the name suggests, I farm for a living and the extreme drought accelerated our harvest and is gonna lengthen the winter off season so thought I would really like to give turning pens a try!

McBryde

Welcome, Jon. Sorry to hear about the drought effecting y'all so harshly up there.
Hopefully you'll enjoy the free time to turn pens. Everyone on here is extremely helpful, so if you ever get stuck, just ask some of us on here and we'll be glad to help.

Top Bottom