Gold Razor Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from renowb

renowb

What is the metal underneath the 24K plating razors? I have a customer who says after a couple of months of using it in the shower, the gold has worn off and she says it is starting to rust! Can anyone 'splain this to me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Sure, 24k finish is very soft and wears quickly. The chrome or black ti. will hold out much better. What is under the gold plating will vary with manufacturers.

Timbo

You just confirmed my suspicions. Yesterday,I emailed one of the venders who sells razor kits and asked about the gold finish. I wanted to know if it was 24k gold, upgrade gold, or something else. His response was if I was concerned about durability (and you ARE if you plan to sell the razor), then he highly recommend you but the Titanium Gold, not the Gold.

The Titanium plating is twice the money, but I'll just add that into the price. I would recommend you contact the vendor who you bought the kits from and to return the ones you have not used.

renowb

Man, I don't understand this. So, if the 24K gold ones wear out in 2 months of use, why would any one sell the kits? I'm not knocking any vendors here, but I assume they are sold to be used and not displayed.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I had a conversation about this with a friend in Great Britain, where wet shaving is very common.

His comment, "There are dozens of manufacturers of razors--none are gold---if they can't figure out a way to make a good one, why do you think someone else will?"

Made sense to me.

Coupled with my own belief that shaving utensils will be doused with soapy water DAILY, I'd stick to REAL durable finishes--and personally, I would avoid wood handles, as well.

FWIW

Top Bottom