Feathered shaving brush and pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mervyn

mervyn

Well this was one hell of a challenge - the tying process was reasonable straight forward as I worked on the same method as my feather pens, this piece was made in three sections the top and the base is from a 55mm Guinness effect blank knowing that I would have the tight swirls in the colour effect, the mid-section is Grizzly hackles tied on to a 20mm x 40mm aluminium tube, the aluminium tube was air-brushed with a blue acrylic water based paint heated so the water then evaporates from the paint, the painted tube was then held on an acrylic mandrel allowing to be tied on the lathe once the feathers where all tied on about 15 large hackles in total where used it was then cast in clear degased resin in a purpose made mould.

The top and base sections have a spigot that enables them to be glued and fit tightly into the aluminium tube it was then re-turned on the lathe for the desired shape.

65mm long 45mm diameter at the widest point

Comments and questions if you like guys.

feathered-brush2.jpg

feathered-brush1.jpg

Many thanks

Mervyn

Below is my latest pen the Jnr Statesman fountain pen in the same feathers as the shaving brush as I said the brush was tied using the same method as the pen.

The Statesman pen is with rhodium and 22k gold plating.

feather-statesman2.jpg

feather-statesman1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mervyn

Hi many thanks, the feathers are grizzly hackles mainly used for tying trout flies if you look at another pen I done last year you wil see the long thin feathers used in the same way.

maj-03-1.jpg

Many thanks

Mervyn

Top Bottom