Going for Gold !!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Absolutely BRILLIANT design and impeccable execution! NOW, go back and find a way to put a "flickering led light" in the cap to symbolized the flame.

After all, you are SKIPRAT, and we've come to expect no less than excellence + 10 percent from your works!

Seriously nice work, Steven!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks again folks. Getting a pat on the back from your peers and buddies now and then is good for the soul. :biggrin:

I like it like it,l like it ! Could it be made out of alum. and then plated gold ?

Frank, it's made from brass and weighs exactly 101 grams. As it will just sit in a drawer or maybe get squeezed into my display case, I haven't decided to plate it, lacquer it or just leave it.

The problem is, if you don't sell pens then what do you do with them all?
My wife, kids and close friends have more than enough of the more practical ones.
I actually get a lot more fun from finding ways to use my limited tools to find a solution to a problem than the finished product. :wink:

For instance, the tri-lobe shape was done with a router making one deep and two light passes on each lobe to create the shape and the 150 holes were done with a portable drilling machine. The lathe chuck was used to hold and index the pen and it's leadscrew was used to space the holes.

I'm away from home at the moment and can't remember if I took pics with my 'work' camera or better home camera. If it was with the one I have with me, then I'll post a pic or two. :)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
On my work camera:wink::biggrin:

The one with the router isn't too clear, but I've shown that arrangement a thousand times anyway.

You can see the index block on the chuck, the backward mounted topslide and the live centre extension.
You can also see that it wasn't originally closed ended. I plugged it and then made the concave shapes in them:wink::biggrin:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 143

wiset1

I'm so sick with envy! It's only been a couple months without turning and I feel as though I'm so incredibly far behind the power curve! Amazing work boss

bluwolf

Excellent Skip! That is very, very slick! I've thinking about how to put indexing on the chuck. That is a neat setup. How many indexing holes do you have on the chuck mounting plate?

Mike

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Excellent Skip! That is very, very slick! I've thinking about how to put indexing on the chuck. That is a neat setup. How many indexing holes do you have on the chuck mounting plate?

Mike

Mike, I only have 12 holes so I'm limited to 2, 3, 4, 6.
However.....:biggrin: by indexing off the change gears, I can do a lot more.
Unfortunately the spindle is fitted with a 40 tooth gear which is ok but would be much more useful if it was 36 or 48.:rolleyes:

SDB777

I'm thinking a video of the turning for the library?

Very cool design, and it's beautifully finished too!

Scott (ain't got room for a metal lathe) B

MartinPens

Dang!
Hey, if you can't find room in your display case, then I'm sure I can find room in mine!!
Can we hook your brain up with a bunch of sensors while you work (not real safe around the lathe) and see how if functions? lol
Thanks for the inspiration. You truly are out of the box!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Top Bottom