Glueing Wood Slabs to Make a Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
I'm new to turning and need some help. I was able to get a lot of scrap wood to make pens. I want to make a pen as a thank you for this person. I have a small slab of yew wood that's 1/2-inch thick by 8-inches long by 4-inches wide. I want to glue layers of the wood to create the size blank I need for the pen (3/4-inch by 5-inches). What is the best glue for this application? I have Tite Bond II & III, thin & medium CA and 2-part epoxy. I plan to get his name laser engraved into it. Any advice would be welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Just make sure your mating glue surfaces are flat for a good tight fit. Even if the wood is planed, smoothing with a disc sander or on a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface will help.

Good luck!

donstephan

Not everyone thinks it is necessary, I like to brush the glue on all surfaces or apply to one surface and then rub them together until all areas are wet with the glue. Then clamp firmly.

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
Not everyone thinks it is necessary, I like to brush the glue on all surfaces or apply to one surface and then rub them together until all areas are wet with the glue. Then clamp firmly.

I'll be sure to use your glueing technique. I'll make sure I clamp them together firmly. I only have this 1 slab, so I really want it to come out well.

farmer

Glueing

My vote is west systems 105/206 2 part epoxy slow drying.
Stronger then any glue IMO and will last for years ( Decades )where many glues and most 5 minute epoxies do not..
You want thin epoxy that will seep into the pores of the wood .
You need slow drying epoxy so the epoxy has time to seep into the pores of the wood.
West systems 105/206 epoxy has a one hr working time .
That means it starts to set up after 1 hour ...

You need flat straight cuts so you don't have glue lines .

Top Bottom