Giant Mango bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kalai

Kalai

I thought I would post a picture of a big Mango bowl my Brother in law just finished today, it measures 23" in dia. and 7" tall, this is the largest bowl he has ever made and he made it on my homemade lathe that can turn up to 4 feet 8 inches in dia. I guess I could turn a giant pen one day, aloha to all.

Chris
Kalai

Attachments

• Dan's big bowl 1 037.jpg
    Dan's big bowl 1 037.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 322
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hayseedboy

Awesome bowl! How many times did you have to sharpen to get through that one :?)

I'd like to see pics of the lathe too.
lr

nachos... sheesh... guess that beats a bowl of boogers...

Kalai

Homemade Big Bowl Lathe

Hey guys here is a picture of my homemade lathe, I can turn bowls up to 4 feet 8 inches, I use a old jeep transmision to change speed and I have reverse and I use a 3 hp moter to run the lathe, I hope you guys like it, aloha.

Kalai

low_48

Really nice work!!!! I've turned some 20"+ bowls, but what makes it tough, is where do you display something that big. No shelf space, it covers half the dining room table, etc.... The two big ones I kept are on the floor under the drop front secretary. Not exactly prime display space! My daughter has the biggest I have turned, she keeps it near her desk and fills it with junk mail.

ahoiberg

Hey guys here is a picture of my homemade lathe, I can turn bowls up to 4 feet 8 inches, I use a old jeep transmision to change speed and I have reverse and I use a 3 hp moter to run the lathe, I hope you guys like it, aloha.

Kalai

you got a stick shift and all???? i can just hear the gears grinding when you take it into 4th.

sweet bowl too! where did you/he find a piece of wood big enough to make that?

BigRob777

Chris,
First of all, wow, that's a nice bowl. I can turn something large on my lathe, but I've never tried it. I'd have to rotate the head stock (easy to do). I have a stand from my old delta lathe too, but I'm just not there skill-wise.

I have a phone number from someone who has 8' wide slabs of mango. I can't even pick it up, let alone ship it back to Delaware. Interested? He's on the big island too. I'd be interested in splitting it with you, but I can't use too much of it (maybe 20 boardfeet). I have no idea what it looks like and I never met the guy, but the guy who sells wood items at the outdoors market in Kailua Kona told me about him and I got his number.
Aloha (and mahalo that's the extent of my knowledge of Hawai'ian),
Rob

Top Bottom