Castle Bench

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rmartin

Rmartin

I was commisioned by a very nice lady to build an outdoor bench which she is donating to a local exclusive private school. Her daughter will begin first grade next month. Apparently, there are four classes which open to a common courtyard. Each class has it's own theme. The first grade class has a medieval theme with castles and knights and damsels and that kind of stuff. She told me money was not an issue and to use only the best quality materials. Hehe, probably shouldn't have told me that.

I googled images of benches and castles and then found my inspiration in the London Tower Bridge. I finished the piece today and it will unvieled next moth when classes start. Hopefully, other parents will step up to commision benches for the other three classes. Here's some pics:

Attachments

• towerbridge.jpg
    towerbridge.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 147
  • bench4.jpg
    bench4.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 191
  • bench2.jpg
    bench2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 169
  • bench5.jpg
    bench5.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 205
  • bench6.jpg
    bench6.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That is a spectacular bench! Beautiful in all photos. Is it really going to be outdoors, and will it stand up to the elements? It sure looks too nice to place outdoors from my perspective! Excellent work!

Rmartin

Yeah, it will go outside, but it will be under a covered porch or awning, or something covered, at least that's what I was told, I haven't acually seen where it will go. It's made from solid red oak over a pressure treated base. Finished with several coats of outdoor spar urethane. After finishing it, I think will a little design changing, it would make a nice coffee table. It's 20" wide by 20" tall by 5 foot long.

Rmartin

Hey Serge,

I made a base of pressure treated plywood, 2x4's and 2x6's. The arches and fronts are red oak plywood. The top is 2x8 red oak joined. All the trim is red oak. Some of which I had to create myself. It was stained with Minwax red oak. Underneath, many joints were sealed with black 30 year caulk. I used outdoor spar urethane brushed and in the tight areas, sprayed. It weights about 300 pounds!

I did not make the onlays. They are a resin based wood product from a company called Pearlworks. They make amazing stuff. It's flexable and can be drilled, nailed, sanded, and stained just like real wood. They can be found on the net here:

http://www.pearlworksinc.com/main.shtml

Top Bottom