Getting paid from paypal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tommy2tone

I sold some pens to a friend in Ohio. She already had a paypal account and sent the money that way. Is the only way to get it with a paypal credit card?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tommy2tone

Thanks.. I really didn't understand it the way paypal had it explained on their website. Another thing is charging for an item. I see where pp takes $1.35. I have been charging 35 for a pen. How do I justify the cash buyer to pay $35 and the person using pp to pay $36.35? How do I mention this on the checkout page?

Last edited:

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
Thanks.. I really didn't understand it the way paypal had it explained on their website. Another thing is charging for an item. I see where pp takes $1.35. I have been charging 35 for a pen. How do I justify the cash buyer to pay $35 and the person using pp to pay $36.35? How do I mention this on the checkout page?

You could add it into your price, or have them "pay the fees", they can choose who pays the fees on checkout in paypal.

LagniappeRob

... or have them "pay the fees"

That can get you in trouble. Yes it is done sometimes. But it is specifically against the terms you agreed to. This actually goes back to the Visa/MC merchant agreements (you can't charge more there either). Some places have gotten around it by offering a "cash discount" instead.

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

And as to them choosing: to send without fee, they have to choose that it's a money transfer between friends/family. It's not intended for buying goods/services. No paypal protection is given on either side. For them you could just walk. For you, no seller protection either. Also you won't get the shipping address.

Last edited:

Paypal doesn't add to the online buyer's purchase... they take the $1.35 from your receipts... You'll only get $33.65.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
PayPal is no worse than an other "credit card" transaction. You, the seller, pay the fees. With credit cards, you may also find you are paying the "generous cash back" that some credit cards offer.

Certainly, you CAN give a cash discount, if you wish---but darn few people CARRY cash, any more.

So, make sure your price covers this expense.

Top Bottom