General Fountain Pen Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmarc

I have a couple of questions pertaining to foundtain pens.

First, the kits all seem to come with a cartridge for the ink. What is involved in upgrading to a pump type of pen.
Second, I've read that you should flush out the nib every couple of weeks. with the cartridge pens, should I remove the cartridge to do the cleaning? or should I do it when I change the cartridge? My concern is that I do not know how much use the pen will actually get, and is this a hard and fast rule.

Marc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Originally posted by woodmarc
<br />I have a couple of questions pertaining to foundtain pens.

First, the kits all seem to come with a cartridge for the ink. What is involved in upgrading to a pump type of pen.

Purchasing the pump [;)]

As for the other question, I generally flush out the nib everytime I refill the ink.

bjackman

The flushing frequency will depend on several factors, but the bottom line for me is that flushing is done when reduced or difficult flow is noticed.
Some have recommended flushing every few months, or even once a year. I think this makes more sense if it a frequently used pen, as there is more ink flowing through the nib/feed to keep things cleaned out and less chance for ink to be drying in place and clogging things up. Before a recent job change I would go through 1-5 converter pump fills per week, depending on workload, and found that my FP's actually worked better and better with more use.

Another factor to consider is the type of ink used. Some have reported flow problems with some of the Noodlers inks. This seems to be due to it's very high concentration of ink solids. Some people absolutely love it and swear by it, while others have had issues in some pens and not others. I have not actually used any yet, but plan to. Have to use up some more of my Private Reserve supply, but can't wait to try some of Noodlers bulletproof inks.

jtate

I have used Noodlers and have not had any problems.

Flush frequently. It's a chance to fiddle with your pen parts. What's better than that!?!?!

A baby snot remover is effective for flushing - that blue or pink bulb-like rubber thing with a narrow snout on it. Just fill it with water, press the opening over the part that the cartridge pops in and squirt it out. Go slowly so the ink inside gets a chance to dissolve and get washed away. Adding a smidgen of dish soap can help as can a tiny drop of ammonia. Go easy here on the ammoinia and always rinse well whether it's ammonia or dish soap. dish soap won't hurt the pen but remnants of it in the mechanism can make your ink feather when you use the pen.

My favorite method for flushing is to use my own God-given flushing mechism, my mouth. Fill up the mouth, insert cartridge end of the section (minus the cartridge) between the lips, lean over sink and blow. Repeat. Repeat.

If you still have flow problems you may need more of a cleaning. Leave the section in water overnight, just soaking. Flush again.

If it's still messed up contact a nib-meister like Deb Kinney [KINNEY@law.duke.edu] about getting your nib adjusted.

Julia

vick

I flush my nib everytime I change the cartridge. I do not write that much so a cratridge usually last me about 3 weeks to a month.

I guess flush is not quite the right word I usually disassemble the nib, feed and houseing rinse them all and may let them soak for 5 minutes in a cup of room tempature water. Then let dry and plop in the new cartridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom