FWIW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I fooled around with a couple of trianglular blanks a few months back. They were a real PIA, but I plan to get back to that this winter. They have some interesting possiblities.

Rifleman1776

Yep, what kind of crazy, mixed up mind would ever create something like those two on the ends of the picture below? [?][:0][:p]
Can't imagine. [;)][:D]

2006920184424_hex%20blanks.jpg
<br />

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Yep, what kind of crazy, mixed up mind would ever create something like those two on the ends of the picture below? [?][:0][:p]
Can't imagine. [;)][:D]

2006920184424_hex%20blanks.jpg
<br />

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />
Originally posted by btboone
<br />Pentagonal! Very cool. Hex looks cool too! Nice work guys.

For the record: I didn't make them. You have three guesses to figure out who did. And the first two are wrong. [;)]

HEY!
I never did see how the one in the middle turned out,have you posted it somewhere?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Just so you know I enjoyed the ribbing in the replies that have been posted. I have calmed down and recognized where I what I was doing wrong.
Without going into too much detail.
Try a little excercise.
Take out a piece of graph paper and draw a square.
I work with 3/4" inches but any size will work.
Bisect the square from corner to corner.
Using a compass, draw a circle that is as large as the largest dimension of the square.( this will be the points)
Do not change the setting on the compass.
Now starting at any point on the circle start swinging acrcs around the circle, this will give you the points to make a hexagon.
Connect those dots.
You will have a stop sign around a square.
Note that depending on where you start swinging the arcs it is possible to get 2 sides of the square and 2 sides of the hexagon to be parallel.
Also note that if you can get two sides parallel the points of the hexagon will not be in the center of all the flat sides on the sqaure.
You can get them in the center on the two adjacent flat sides of the sqaure but not all four.

If you have seen the Copper vein plexi pen you may understand what I am trying to do.
That pen had four cuts in it resulting in 8 lines but there were large "gaps" in the pattern.I want smaller gaps which means a different spacing of the lines but they must be equal.
I am making another with a different material.Every time the blank gets cut it needs to go back to the original size& angles so the pattern is the same.
I have a tendency to think in "sqaures" that is why I made the post I did.
I have solved my original problem so the blank can be referenced to it's original shape & size.
For you math geniuses I am sure this is an easy concept but I flunked Algebra II twice before they told me to audit the class in my senior year so I wouldn't drag down my GPA.
I later took the course in Jr. college and had a teacher who was literally blind.
I got a 98 in that course( and no I didn't cheat, she was just a great teacher)
Putting a square peg in a hex hole.

redfishsc

Eagle I had basically the same experience. I had ONE decent math teacher in High School, Mr. Graves. Great teacher-- geometry. The other three I had were merely equation dispensers. I despised math. Made mostly D's (except the A's in geometry, where there was someone who could actually teach).

Took Algebra at York Technical College. The teacher knew her stuff and knew how to teach it. I went from there on up to calculus and a couple semesters of physics. Graduated from there with a 4.0.

The difference? REAL WORLD. The Tech teachers were all retired from some field or another (one was an electronics engineer and was well known for tearing apart graphing calculators, fixing them, and using them---- and the physics prof was a former electrical engineer for Boeing, contracted by Nasa-- brilliant people).

But as for shapes, I personally despise ovals. I been making more of those lately than I'm going to really fess up to!

KenV

A few minor technical issues - Stope signes are 8 sided in this country (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices).

Running the compass around the circle is a good approximation for a 6 sided figure. (circumference = 3 time Pi time the Radius and Pi is a bit bigger than 3)

a hex is not an oct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom