Ok, dumb question: slimline bushings...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

underdog

Was at the Redmonds/Rocklers grand opening today and yesterday. They didn't have the pen mill, but did have slimline bushings but I didn't buy any... Gah... (I did buy the collet type mandrel there though.. it came with 4) 7mm bushings and 1) 7mm brad point drill.)

So I went to the Great Southeast Bubbaville Penturning conference [8D] today, and on the way home stopped in at the Woodcraft in Roswell. So they had the penmills, but no slimline bushings! Double Gah!:( (I did buy the pen mill with the 7mm insert.. so I can do slimlines and European pens at least.)

I got to thinking about it and now I'm wondering something... Are slimline bushings just 3) 7mm bushings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I dont know what a "7mm" bushing is, but the tubes inside a slimline are 7mm. So, I'm assuming they're calling them their slimline bushings. I would just wait till you order some slimline kits and order a set, they're only $3 I think.

I get my slimlines from www.woodturningz.com (About $2, $3 for cigars)

If I'm ordering Barons, I get them from www.arizonasilhouette.com (their slimlines are about the same price)

I get my MicroMesh from Charles at www.woodchipshome.com then cut them into four per sheet. Good deal

Randy_

Want get really confused. [?][?][?] Measure the OD of those bushings.....they[:D][:D] will not be 7 mm nor will the ID. But yes.....those 7 mm bushings are for use with the Slimline kits.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
A mandrelMT2 adapter& and brass nut set up from WC is $9.99.It comes with 3 bushings on the mandrel(I guess the intended use is for spacers) and a set of bushings for a Euro style.
Be careful about using "Any old slimline bushing" for a kit unless you have measured the component and the bushing.
They aren't always the same.

mrcook4570

Originally posted by underdog
<br />Stan,

Uh.. I'm easily confused. Are you agreeing with Skye? Or are you answering affirmative to my question?[^]

Sorry, skye snuck his post in while I was typing [:D]

Yes, those are slimline bushings. But as eagle mentioned, check them with calipers against the components in your slimline kits. Quality control on the manufacturing of bushings is almost non-existant.

underdog

Hmmmm... Looks like a niche market...

Bushings that actually "fit" pen kits..... You'd think that would be a no-brainer with manufacturers, but <b>NO......</b>

Skye

Yeah, expecialy when you throw in the fact that every pen kit is a little different. Brand X's slimlines arent exactly the same as brand Z's. Standardization is something there's always heated discussion over.

underdog

Yeah, I was reading the bushing interchangeability thread...

Looks like someone would write the manufacturers and give them "what for."

Anyway, thanks for the information guys. There's just such an overwhelming array of stuff out there it's hard to know where to start - especially when I'm already over budget...[^]

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Yeah, expecialy when you throw in the fact that every pen kit is a little different. Brand X's slimlines arent exactly the same as brand Z's. Standardization is something there's always heated discussion over.

Honestly, why would a manufacture want to standardize if they feel they have the best product out there?

underdog

Yeah... You know it can't be hard to make these things... Their QC must really suck if we can be more accurate (BY HAND!) than they can with a machine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom